[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: IS HAVING A PRIVATE BAPTISM WITHOUT A PASTOR PRESENT BIBLICALLY VALID?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat Jun 26 09:01:48 UTC 2021

IS HAVING A PRIVATE BAPTISM WITHOUT A PASTOR PRESENT BIBLICALLY VALID?
June 25, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

The people who baptized in Bible times were men who had been commissioned by God and given authority: the prophets, John the Baptist, and the apostles, for example. The Bible seems to establish this as a precedent.

Acts 6:3 says that when the apostles set up the office of deacon, they chose seven men who were “of good reputation” and “full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom.” Then, to make it official, these men were set before the apostles, who prayed and laid hands on them (verse 6). When Philip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:26–39), we don’t know if he was still a deacon or if he had been “promoted.” We do know, however, that there is no record in the Bible of the disciples baptizing one another.

Let me tell you why I think that is. I’m a pastor, and if all of my church members believed they could go out and baptize whomever they felt led to baptize, without any kind of clearing process, they could wind up bringing people into the church who had not really been taught. Jesus said, “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28:19, 20, my emphasis).

I’m not going to be dogmatic and say that God would not honor a private baptism at which no pastor is present. There have been Christians in communist countries who accepted Jesus and then baptized each other. But they were operating under extreme circumstances. Insofar as possible, baptism should be a public declaration of our decision to follow Christ.

If you have Bible-teaching churches in your community that teach and practice baptism by immersion, why wouldn’t you want to participate in a public baptism and invite your pastor?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business."
Acts 6:3

Did you enjoy this devotional? Request today's free offer:
Baptism: Is it Really Necessary? - Paper or Digital Download

Does a Christian really need to be baptized? And if so, is there a right way? Quickly and succinctly, you will get all the Bible answers you need about the role of baptism and rebaptism in the life of every Christian.
Request Today's Free Offer

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)