[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: A Special Act of Kindness

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:23:46 UTC 2021

From: Larry Perry [mailto:larryperry at performancepress.ccsend.com] On Behalf Of Larry Perry
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 8:10 AM
To: mmoore11 at kent.edu
Subject: A Special Act of Kindness

  <http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=efa8a0d5-ba28-47d3-be3e-b799904709a2&a=1103316066373&c=6f49fc70-74b9-11eb-9d75-fa163e24df6a&ch=6f4b0606-74b9-11eb-9d75-fa163e24df6a>

Letter from Larry

Wednesday

March 3, 2021

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://files.constantcontact.com/54023c2e001/1d38afd4-8df2-4e47-b269-ce9137e78e77.png>

Good Wednesday Morning Everyone:

I served all over the Far East, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Taiwan,

Philippine Islands but never got to see a Bob Hope show sponsored

by the USO while there. (I have since watched all of the TV programs

that Bob Hope made of the programs all over that area.)

Anyway today's story is a moving one and is true as told by a service

man's wife and is about a single act of kindest from Ann

Margaret. Enjoy

A Very Special Act of Kindness

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet

Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather

grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of

Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his

treasures. (See above photo.)

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local

bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to Sign the

treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for

the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the

bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking

garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that

she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let

her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from

home.. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and,

as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo.

When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she

would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to

see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she

said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly

will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country

and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'' With that, she pulled

Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then

made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met

over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she

appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those

close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he

were the only one there.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter

and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll

never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much

that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to

talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears.. ''That's

the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,''

he said.

I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across

who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and

I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will

help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge

the contribution our service people make.

~Thank you Ray for sharing the story and photo.~

May God Bless YOU and YOURS and those

serving us in harm's way!

Much love.

Larry

NOTE: This letter is sent to anyone interested in receiving these inspirational notes. There is no charge and you are encouraged to forward these to anyone you think would benefit from reading them. If you would like to receive them direct, just send an email to me at larryperry at att.net and request to be added to the Letters from Larry list. If you press the UNSUBSCRIBE button, you will be permanently unsubscribed from receiving these letters.

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

Performance Press | 11464 Saga Lane, Knoxville, TN 37931

 <https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001sN5pmngK0k9o3NqMiSj7fA%3D&ch=6f4b0606-74b9-11eb-9d75-fa163e24df6a&ca=efa8a0d5-ba28-47d3-be3e-b799904709a2> Update Profile |  <https://www.constantcontact.com/legal/customer-contact-data-notice> Customer Contact Data Notice

Sent by  <mailto:larryperry at att.net> larryperry at att.net powered by

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF19_3GE> Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF19_3GE> Try email marketing for free today!