[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Loyal geese

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Thu Mar 18 11:45:19 UTC 2021

LOYAL GEESE
March 18, 2021

Average reading time is about 6 minutes

An Amazing Fact: We see them coming in the fall and leaving in early spring, flying along in a “V” formation. The awesome migration of geese offers a number of inspiring lessons of sacrifice and teamwork. For one thing, as each bird flaps its wings, it creates uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in V formation the whole flock adds at least 71 percent greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own. When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone … and quickly gets back in to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.

Even though they weigh between 20-25 pounds, geese can fly about as high as any bird. A Himalayan mountain climber at 16,000 feet was rather amazed when a flock of geese flew northward about two miles over his head, honking as they went. At 7,000 feet a man has a hard time talking while running, but those geese were probably flying at 27,000 feet, and even calling while they traveled at this tremendous height. Canada Geese can reach speeds of up to 60 mph during their flights. They can fly for up to 16 hours without rest.

Geese are also very loyal. When a goose gets sick or is wounded by gunshot and falls out of formation, two other geese follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies. Geese mate for life, which averages about 20 years, and will stay together during all seasons. They are also excellent parents. They will sacrificially place themselves between any perceived threat and their young. Domesticated geese also make good “watchdogs,” hissing and honking loudly when strangers come around. There are many accounts of how the family goose laid its life down to save a child from a venomous snake or rabid dog.

In describing the power of the gospel to change our lives, the apostle Paul speaks of Christ laying down His life for us. “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me” (Galatians 2:20). Study the life and death of Christ and behold Jesus’ expression of love for you, a love more loyal than geese.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:13

FINDING PEACE IN A WORLD OF WORRY
Pastor Doug Batchelor’s winsome but practical new book is packed with useful solutions not only to liberate those drowning in stress, but also to prevent stress from building up in the first place. Best of all, these principles come directly from the Word of God!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)