[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] RELATIONAL ASPECT OF COMMITMENT

mmoore11 at kent.edu mmoore11 at kent.edu
Tue Mar 30 13:34:56 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
<committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io> On Behalf Of Mr. Ed via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 9:19 AM
To: Mr. Ed <pinky14 at abe.midco.net>
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] RELATIONAL ASPECT OF COMMITMENT

RELATIONAL ASPECT OF COMMITMENT

Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny
themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/23370715.4815/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnY
XRld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9THVrZS45LjIz/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174Bce6
525c3> Luke 9:23

The relational aspect of commitment is found in the phrase, "Whoever wants
to be my disciple." There is a desire on our part that causes us to want to
come to Jesus to be His follower. It is a relationship that you seek to
establish with Him. But what is the origin of this relationship? We do not
have anything in us that is good enough to be offered to God. It is God
Himself who has committed Himself to us. It is He who has taken the
initiative that makes it possible for me to respond in commitment to Him.

We see God's commitment in His creation. He made humankind in His image. And
we see His true commitment when we messed up in the fall of humankind. Thus
began God's plan for salvation, the redemption story that culminated in the
coming of Jesus Christ. God's commitment to us is one of total love. This
caused Him to not even spare His only Son from the cruelty of the cross to
redeem us from the curse of sin.

In addition, when Jesus was on earth, it was He who took the initiative. In
fact, when there were some who wanted to volunteer their services prior to
their understanding of the true nature of discipleship and the commitment
that is required of them, they were discouraged from doing so:

When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other
side of the lake. Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, "Teacher,
I will follow you wherever you go."

Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the
Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Another disciple said to him,
"Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus told him, "Follow me,
and let the dead bury their own dead." (
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/23370715.4815/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnY
XRld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9TWF0dC44LjE4LU1hdHQuOC4yMg/5ef562bd102223
74f46b6174C6c904cb7> Matthew 8:18-22)

This is the relational aspect of commitment; one in which we desire to
follow Jesus because God first committed Himself to us and calls us to
follow Him. We who have experienced His love and grace desire to respond to
Him.

RESPONSE: Today I commit to a relationship with Jesus in being a true
learner and follower.

PRAYER: Lord, I respond to Your love and grace today and desire to become a
fully devoted disciple.

Provided by Bible Gateway:

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7426)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/7426>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20RELA
TIONAL%20ASPECT%20OF%20COMMITMENT>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:pinky14 at abe.midco.net?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20RELATION
AL%20ASPECT%20OF%20COMMITMENT>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/81721381/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.