[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat May 1 13:18:07 UTC 2021

DOES JOHN 9:31 TEACH THAT GOD DOESN’T HEAR SINNERS?
May 01, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

The context for this verse comes from the story of Jesus healing a man who was born blind. At the start of the narrative, the disciples ask Jesus, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” (John 9:2). The response that Christ gives helps us understand God’s view of sinners and sin. “Jesus answered, ‘Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him’ ” (v. 3).

After Christ healed the blind man, the Pharisees got wind of the incident and questioned the healed man. His answered caused division. One group said of Jesus, “How can a man who is a sinner do such signs?” (v. 16). The healed man’s statement in John 9:31 actually agrees with this Pharisee’s statement. They couldn’t argue with his reasoning. God heard Jesus, the Man without sin, and the blind man was healed.

So does this verse mean that God never hears a sinner’s cry for help? Of course not; there are too many stories and Bible verses that show sinful people crying out to God for help and the Lord hearing them. The classic story of a sinner calling out to God and being heard is found in Jesus’ parable of the Pharisee and tax collector. Notice the publican’s prayer, “The tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ ” (Luke 18:13). Jesus then says, “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified” (v. 14).

It is not a deficiency on the part of God to hear sinners, but a reluctance on the part of sinners to turn to the Lord for help. David once said, “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear” (Psalm 66:18). Sinners who persistently turn away from God will not be heard because they are not even calling to Him.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth."
John 9:31

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)