[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Wed May 5 22:59:49 UTC 2021

IN GENESIS 4:14, WHO IS CAIN WORRIED WILL KILL HIM?
May 05, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Because of his intense jealousy toward Abel, Cain rose up against his brother and killed him. Afterward, he tried to play innocent, but God already knew what had happened. He pronounced a curse on Cain: “When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield its strength to you. A fugitive and vagabond you shall be on the earth.” He was driven away.

Cain then responds, “Surely You have driven me out this day from the face of the ground; I shall be hidden from Your face; I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth, and it will happen that anyone who finds me will kill me” (verse 14). In this passage, Cain wasn’t concerned about his sin, but about his punishment. He was saying it was more than he could bear, and he feared people were going to hunt him down and kill him.

Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel understood that they had been commanded to “be fruitful, and multiply” (Genesis 1:22). Cain knew that in the process of time, men and women would procreate and there would be thousands upon thousands of people in the world. Do you realize how many people could have been born in the 900 years from that time until the Flood? It was likely in the millions!

Cain knew that he would be an outlaw—public enemy number one. He was anticipating that people would hunt him down and kill him as they multiplied and spread across the Earth. He made that statement because he was anticipating what was going to happen as the planet became more populated.

Since we don’t have an exact timeline of the first family, it is also possible that Adam and Eve already had other grown children as well. Cain might have feared one of his brothers or sisters would immediately take revenge on behalf of their murdered brother.

God, in His mercy, put a mark on Cain to protect him from any would-be avengers.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth."
Genesis 4:12

Did you enjoy this devotional? Request today's free offer:
The Savior and the Serpent - Paper or Digital Download

The Scriptures are an epic record of the battle between our Savior and the serpent. And though some don’t relish the idea of studying snakes, these cold-blooded, legless reptiles are mentioned from Genesis to Revelation. Pastor Doug uses John 3:14, 15 as a springboard to offer a stirring message of salvation that you might never have heard before!
Request Today's Free Offer

REVELATION NOW! DVD SET
Join Pastor Doug Batchelor for this epic Bible prophecy series and get clear, trustworthy, logical answers to your most pressing questions about life, prophecy, and the last days. You’ll not only receive life-changing insight into what the future will bring next, but you’ll also gain the practical tools you need to thrive in the here and now!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)