[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat May 22 10:14:37 UTC 2021

DOES PAUL TEACH THAT WE SHOULD “HOLD THE TRADITIONS” OF THE CHURCH?
May 22, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

The Greek word translated “traditions” is paradoseis, which means “things handed over” or “passed down.” There are many traditions based on error and false theories; these are condemned in the Bible because they contradict the truth of God. For instance, Jesus once stated, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted” (Matthew 15:13).

The apostle Paul makes a distinction about different types of tradition. He writes to the church at Colossae, “Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ” (Colossians 2:8, my emphasis). Not all traditions are the same.

The traditions in 2 Thessalonians 2:15 were those handed over by Christ and the apostles. Paul does not endorse all traditions. He teaches us to “hold fast” to those traditions the church had received “by word or our epistle.” This encompasses only the inspired teachings or writings of those who had received their message from Christ and were ministering to the churches at that time.

Since there were so many false teachers around and poisoning the minds of people, the apostle took pains to clarify that not all traditions or teachings are sound. He once said to the church in Galatia, “Even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed” (Galatians 1:8).

Just because someone says, “But the church says” or “My pastor says,” it does not mean it is truth. There certainly are good traditions, but if they contradict the Bible, they should be laid aside. Jesus once asked, “Why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?” (Luke 6:46). Some issues are pretty minor, but when it comes to weighty matters of teaching, it is better to have a “Thus says the Lord.”

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle."
2 Thessalonians 2:15

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)