[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Tue May 25 12:31:51 UTC 2021

WASN’T THE OLD COVENANT THE TEN COMMANDMENTS? PART 2
May 25, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Some Christians believe that the Ten Commandment law was only a part of the law of Moses, which disappeared with the old covenant. These verses in Hebrews 10 are used to support this premise.

The “law” of verse 8 is undoubtedly associated with the “first” covenant, which is taken away in verse 9. But did that law include the Ten Commandments? Those same sacrifices and sin offerings are described in 2 Chronicles 8:12, 13, when Solomon offered burnt offerings “according to the commandment of Moses.”

This makes it plain that the law concerning those burnt offerings—the one mentioned in Hebrews 10:8—was called the commandment or law of Moses. It was part of the old covenant system that was taken away by “the offering of the body of Jesus Christ” (verse 10). But note: The Ten Commandments were not part of that. Christ is quoted in verse 9, saying, “ ‘Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.’ He takes away the first that He may establish the second.”

The full text of what Christ said comes from Psalm 40:8, which says, “I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.” This law is tied to the second (or new) covenant that was to be established. This is reinforced a few verses later in Hebrews 10, where it says, “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them” (v. 16).

The law that was in the heart of Jesus and which did not end with the old covenant is the Ten Commandment law. Magnified by Christ (Isaiah 42:21), it was transferred from the tables of stone to the tables of the heart.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;"
"Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second."
Hebrews 10:8-9

REVELATION NOW! DVD SET
Join Pastor Doug Batchelor for this epic Bible prophecy series and get clear, trustworthy, logical answers to your most pressing questions about life, prophecy, and the last days. You’ll not only receive life-changing insight into what the future will bring next, but you’ll also gain the practical tools you need to thrive in the here and now!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)