[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] The Search For an Honest Man

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Wed Nov 3 14:45:01 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
[mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io] On Behalf Of trish via
groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 3, 2021 10:29 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] The Search For an Honest Man

The Search For an Honest Man

"Therefore, putting away lying, each one speak truth with his neighbor, for
we are members of one another." (Ephesians 4:25)

There is a great story about a T-Ball baseball game that was reported in
Sports Illustrated.  The game was played in Wellington, Florida.  In it, a
seven-year-old first baseman, Tanner Munsey, fielded a ground ball and tried
to tag a runner going from first to second base.

The umpire, Laura Benson, called the runner out, but young Tanner
immediately ran to her side and said, "Ma'am, I didn't tag the runner."
Umpire Benson reversed herself, sent the runner to second base, and Tanner's
coach gave him the game ball for his honesty.

Two weeks later, Laura Benson was again the umpire and Tanner was playing
shortstop when a similar play occurred. This time Benson ruled that Tanner
had missed the tag on a runner going to third base, and she called the
runner safe. Tanner looked at Benson and without saying a word, tossed the
ball to the catcher and returned to his position.

Benson sensed something was wrong. "Did you tag the runner?" she asked
Tanner.   His reply: "Yes."

Benson then called the runner out. The opposing coaches protested until she
explained what had happened two weeks earlier. "If a kid is that honest,"
she said, "I have to give it to him."

It may be that no Christian characteristic has suffered more in our society
than honesty. It's lacking in the workplace, it's lacking in many of our
marriages, it's lacking in our government, and sometimes it's even lacking
in our churches. Like Diogenes of ancient Greece, we sometimes feel the urge
to take our lantern and begin our search for an honest man.

There is something about Christians that should stand out like a neon sign
on a dark night. Jesus wants his people to be known as a people of truth. We
should establish a reputation, like Tanner, for speaking the truth even when
it would benefit us to do otherwise. Then, and only then, will those around
us trust what we say without hesitation, without wondering whether we really
mean what we say or not.

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#9037)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/9037>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20The%
20Search%20For%20an%20Honest%20Man>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:trishzoellers at icloud.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20The%2
0Search%20For%20an%20Honest%20Man>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/86792383/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.