[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] NO TURNING BACK

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Thu Nov 4 18:28:10 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
[mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io] On Behalf Of Mr. Ed via
groups.io
Sent: Thursday, November 4, 2021 10:08 AM
To: Mr. Ed
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] NO TURNING BACK

NO TURNING BACK

"Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me."
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/25576552.1638/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnY
XRld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9TWF0dC4xMC4zOA/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174B3
84b4e10> Matthew 10:38

In northern Nigeria, confessing Christ by word of mouth is not the only test
of a believer's sincere submission to the authority of Christ-particularly
one coming to Christ from Islam. A true follower of Jesus must be prepared
to carry the cross, or else he falls away.

For 25-year-old Akin, his cross came quickly. His father and uncle took him
from the home of one Islamic scholar to another, trying to convince him to
compromise his faith in Christ. But all their efforts proved fruitless.
Finally, as a last resort, Akin's family took him to an Islamic reformatory
where he must either accept Islam, or die.

"There, I lived with thieves, murderers, alcoholics and drug addicts whose
parents or relatives had brought them there to be rehabilitated. I did not
belong there.Immediately, they had my hands and feet chained. The chains
fastened on my legs were worse, as they joined the metals directly on my
legs. They also beat me consistently. The experience was agonizing, but I
had to endure, because I had seen the light in Christ and accepted it," said
Akin.

"They maltreated us, but mine was more severe because the Islamic teacher
told them I had blasphemed against the prophet of Islam," said Akin. "I wore
the same shirt and trousers for nine months. I could not even wash them
since I was chained, hands and feet."

After nine months in chains and under the cruel treatment of outcasts and
the Islamic teacher, the Islamic teacher took Akin back to his father's
house in the village. "My father was very upset and asked the Islamic
teacher to take me back, since I had not recanted my faith in Christ," Akin
said. But the teacher refused. "He handed me over to my father and left."

Because staying with his parents would mean his death, he immediately fled
to a pastor's house for refuge. Akin stayed indoors for two weeks until the
church relocated him to a more secure environment. Akin was discipled over
the next two years, and then called into ministry.

Now in a Bible school, Akin still cannot go back home. The church in his
village is small, with almost no means to support him. His Christian mentor
is the only source of help for his school fees, books and provision of food.

"For me the battle continues, although I know it is Christ who rescued me,"
says Akin. "This is a constant reminder that Christ actually gave up his
life for me.So my experience in that [Islamic reformatory] was just a part
of the road that leads to eternity with Christ. He has told us the journey
will not be easy, but we must press on, no turning back."

RESPONSE: Today I will persevere in following Jesus no matter what obstacles
I face. I will not turn back!

PRAYER: Thank You, Lord, for the example of believers like Akin whose
example imitates Yours in teaching me to follow after You, no matter the
cost.

Provided by Bible Gateway:

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#9040)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/9040>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20NO%2
0TURNING%20BACK>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:pinky14 at abe.midco.net?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20NO%20TUR
NING%20BACK>  | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/86816401/21951>  | New
Topic <https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.