[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Living in a Faithless World by Max Lucado

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:30:47 UTC 2021

Early in the Book of Esther we read these words: “Esther had not revealed
her nationality and family background because Mordecai had forbidden her to
do so” (Esther 2:10). The polytheistic Persians did not require their
conquered peoples to give up their gods but they had to worship the Persian
gods too. The Jews were to worship Jehovah God only. So, the question of
Psalm 137:4 is the question of the book of Esther. “How shall we sing the
Lord’s song in a foreign land?” How does a person of faith live in a
faithless world? Mordecai and Esther initially created a world of hidden
identity. You know, the compulsion to hide our identity as children of God
affects us all. At work, at school, or in the bowling league. But at some
point, each of us has to figure out who we are and what that identity means
for our lives.