[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] IS THERE REALLY A DANGER THAT MANY CHRISTIANS WILL BE CAUGHT OFF GUARD WHEN JESUS RETURNS?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat Oct 30 00:23:42 UTC 2021

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

IS THERE REALLY A DANGER THAT MANY CHRISTIANS WILL BE CAUGHT OFF GUARD WHEN JESUS RETURNS?
October 29, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Jesus makes it very clear that several things can trap and destroy Christians. He even told a story to illustrate His warning: “It is like a man going to a far country, who left his house and gave authority to his servants, and to each his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning—lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping” (Mark 13:34–36).

Let’s consider the traps in Luke 21:34 along with Jesus’ warning in Mark. The first item is “carousing.” The original word comes from two Greek words, one for “head” and the other for “to sway or toss about.” The idea is that we can become so busy in life, so intoxicated with our adrenaline-driven schedules, that we lose our ability to think clearly. This rat race of constant running keeps us from spending daily time with Jesus.

Drunkenness, of course, speaks of the result of drinking alcoholic beverages, but it can refer to any addiction. People who have numbed their minds through pornography, illicit sex, romance novels, gambling, alcohol, drugs, movies, food, or evil companions are clinging to dependencies that keep them from Bible study, prayer, and Christian fellowship. They live in an unreal world trying to fill a void in their life that only Jesus can truly fill. Even the everyday cares of this life can so consume us that we don’t put first things first.

Finally, Mark 13 warns us that we can be spiritually asleep. It might be the biggest problem today. When a person is asleep, he doesn’t really know he is asleep. Taking our relationship with Jesus for granted can make sleepwalkers of those who, unless miraculously wakened, will sleep past the moment of truth.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares."
Luke 21:34

Update Email Preferences
Copyright © 2021 Amazing Facts International

Our mailing address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678.

This email was sent to shellsebel at gmail.com.