[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: Questions and Answers

mmoore11 at kent.edu mmoore11 at kent.edu
Fri Sep 3 15:50:41 UTC 2021

From: Larry Perry <larryperry at performancepress.ccsend.com> On Behalf Of Larry Perry
Sent: Friday, September 3, 2021 11:09 AM
To: mmoore11 at kent.edu
Subject: EXT: Questions and Answers

  <https://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=7bcc5a92-4aeb-4a0a-a465-7211dff5cab1&a=1103316066373&c=6f49fc70-74b9-11eb-9d75-fa163e24df6a&ch=6f4b0606-74b9-11eb-9d75-fa163e24df6a>

Letter from Larry

Friday

September 3, 2021

Good Friday Morning Everyone:

Each day I receive emails from readers of these Letters about various

things of interest. Here are some of those letters with their questions

and my answers that I think you will enjoy.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Why do Christians divide prayer into four main kinds?

Christians divide prayer into four main kinds according to the purposes

for which they pray:

1. To ADORE God as creator and Lord;

2. To THANK God for his many favors;

3. To ASK God to bestow His blessings;

4. To ASK God for forgiveness for sins committed against God.

Why do people not always get what they pray for?

People do not always get what they pray for either because they have

not prayed with the proper dispositions (which include devotion,

humility, resignation, confidence and perseverance) or because they

have unwittingly asked for something God sees in not for their good

at that moment. In the latter case, their prayer obtains a different

benefit for them from Almighty God.

Why do Christians fold their hands when they pray?

Folded hands in prayer is a relatively new gesture by Christians. It

was introduced in Roman Catholic monasteries and in colonial

America as a way of avoiding fidgeting during long prayers lead

by the worship leaders.

Folded hands may take the form of interlocking fingers or merely

placing they palms together while pointing the fingers skyward.

In the Early Church, Christians seldom if ever, folded hands during

prayers. Instead, they turned their palms upward and held up their arms

raised as if to "Catch the blessing s from God." (I still see this today in religious services.)

Why do Christians say "Amen" at the end of their prayers?

Most Christians end their private and public prayers with the word

"Amen." "Amen" is a work adopted by Christians from Jews, and

means "Yes" or "So be it!" The word first appears for the first time

in the Bible in Numbers 5:22. In some congregations, worshipers

interject shouts of "Amen" during the preaching of the sermon as

a sign that they agree with what the preacher is saying.

Why is Jesus regarded as the third party at a Christian wedding?

The late Fulton J. Sheen used to stress that Jesus was the third party

at a wedding---coining the phrase "Three to get married." He did so

to indicate the Christian marriage partakes of the mystical marriage

of Christ and His Church. In the words of St. Paul:

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the Church and gave

Himself up for her...for no man ever hates his own flesh, but nourishes

and cherishes it , as Christ does the Church." (Ephesians 5:25-29).

Why are the Beatitudes regarded as the heart of the Gospel?

 The Beatitudes (Mathew 5:3-10) are "eight words" pronounced by

Jesus midway up a mountain around June of the year 28. They give

in a nutshell the type of life Jesus wants for all human beings and

they have been called the most important words in history. They are

addressed to all people believers and nonbelievers alike, and twenty

one centuries later they still constitute the sole beacon that shines in

the darkness of a selfish world.

The Beatitudes form the core of the Sermon on the Mount which is

itself a summary of the teachings of Jesus. You might way that the

Beatitudes is to the New Testament what the Ten Commandments

are to the Old Testament.

Here are the Beatitudes:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for

they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons

of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake

for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven." (Matt: 5:3-10

Why do Christians refer to the last 27 books of the Bible as the

"New Testament?"

The word "testament" means "covenant" or "promise". Christians

believe that God made two covenants or promises with His people.

The first involved the testament with Israel when God said: "I will be

your God; you shall by my people" (Exodus 6:6). The was the

"Old Testament." The "New Testament" is the promise that God

made between God and those who accept Jesus as Lord.

 *******

I hope you learned something this week from these Letters. Sometimes

the old professor in me comes out as I want everyone to learn

something new every day. Larry

 *******

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that

whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting

life. (John 3:16)

YOU are LOVED !!

Larry

NOTE: This letter is sent to anyone interested in receiving these inspirational notes. There is no charge and you are encouraged to forward these to anyone you think would benefit from reading them. If you would like to receive them direct, just send an email to me at larryperry at att.ne <mailto:larryperry at att.net> t and request to be added.

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

Performance Press | 11464 Saga Lane, Knoxville, TN 37931

 <https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001sN5pmngK0k9o3NqMiSj7fA%3D&ch=6f4b0606-74b9-11eb-9d75-fa163e24df6a&ca=7bcc5a92-4aeb-4a0a-a465-7211dff5cab1> Update Profile |  <https://www.constantcontact.com/legal/customer-contact-data-notice> Constant Contact Data Notice

Sent by  <mailto:larryperry at att.net> larryperry at att.net powered by

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF21_3GE&nav=7bcc5a92-4aeb-4a0a-a465-7211dff5cab1>

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF21_3GE&nav=7bcc5a92-4aeb-4a0a-a465-7211dff5cab1> Try email marketing for free today!

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.