[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotional: DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT WE SHOULD BE BAPTIZED ON BEHALF OF OUR DEAD RELATIVES?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Fri Sep 17 01:40:29 UTC 2021

DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT WE SHOULD BE BAPTIZED ON BEHALF OF OUR DEAD RELATIVES?
September 16, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

This interesting teaching by the apostle Paul might make it sound as if a person can be vicariously baptized on behalf of their dead relatives and friends and, thereby, secure salvation for the dead. Before looking more closely at the text, we should first be clear that the Bible teaches a person must personally believe in Jesus and confess his or her own sins in order for baptism to have any real meaning.

The apostle Peter told the crowd at Pentecost: “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins” (Acts 2:38, my emphasis). David tells us, “None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him” (Psalm 49:7). “As it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). Our probation closes when we die; you cannot be saved by proxy.

So what could Paul possibly mean in this verse? Two explanations stand the test of Scripture. The first is the belief that Paul was merely referring to a pagan custom as an illustration to support the resurrection. In other words, he was saying, “Even the pagans, who get baptized on behalf of dead relatives, believe in the resurrection. How much more should we believe when we know Christ rose from the dead?”

Another view is that Paul is using the word “baptize” in a figurative sense. Notice Jesus’ words: “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” (Matthew 20:22). Paul says, in his very next verse, “I die daily” (1 Corinthians 15:30). So to paraphrase our text, Paul might be saying, “If there is no resurrection, why should God’s messengers keep facing death?”

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"
1 Corinthians 15:29

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)