[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Sun Sep 19 17:58:20 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
[mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io] On Behalf Of Mr. Ed via
groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2021 10:00 AM
To: Mr. Ed
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone
takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/25084045.1318/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnY
XRld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9THVrZS42LjI5/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174Be98
5bfe3> Luke 6:29

An Open Doors colleague shares the following incident from an SSTS seminar
in Indonesia:

I remember standing in front of nearly 800 pastors on the island of Timor
facing a serious dilemma. Most of the pastors were victims of attacks by
Muslims on the island of Ambon. They had lost homes, churches and even
family members during these attacks. They were hurt, devastated and needed
answers to the challenges they faced.

As soon as I started preaching, one pastor stood up and interrupted me:
"Must we accept the persecution from the Muslims or must we retaliate? We
are tired of forgiving just to be attacked again. We believe it is time to
defend the honor of God and retaliate. What must we do?"

I understood perfectly the challenges. I had met those who were attacked and
I have seen the scars on the bodies of those who simply accepted it. I
understood there was no easy answer. Then another pastor interrupted: "No,
pastor, tell this brother he is wrong. The Bible tells us to accept our
suffering. We will dishonor God if we retaliate. Seventy times seven we need
to forgive. Isn't this true?"

I looked at the pastors and replied, "The Bible is clear. You MUST
retaliate!"

There was silence. I sensed the division. I could see the smiles on the
faces of those who agreed and saw those who disagreed getting ready to leave
the hall.

"Wait, brothers!" I intervened. "Before you leave, let me finish my
sentence.
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/25084045.1318/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnY
XRld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9THVrZS42/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174C0742b22
b> Luke 6 teaches us clearly to retaliate, but in doing so, we need to
choose our weapons. When someone curses you, you don't just accept it. You
retaliate by blessing him. When someone mistreats you and persecute you, you
don't just accept it. You retaliate by praying for him. When someone takes
your cloak you retaliate by giving your undercoat. When someone slaps you in
the face, don't stand for it. Retaliate! Turn your other cheek."

The burden of just accepting suffering was broken. They were satisfied.

RESPONSE: Today I will retaliate against attacks upon me using the spiritual
weapons of Jesus.

PRAYER: Lord, may I always remember how You want me to respond when others
treat me badly.

Provided by Bible Gateway;

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#8816)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/8816>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20TURN
ING%20THE%20OTHER%20CHEEK>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:pinky14 at abe.midco.net?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20TURNING%
20THE%20OTHER%20CHEEK>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/85718223/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.