[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Today is the last day of Ramadhan and tomorrow is the first day of Eidul Fitr by Ali Benmerzouga

ali benmerzouga ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 17:57:37 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

Today is our last fasting day of the holy Month of Ramadhan for Moslems. This year the month is/was 30 day long. We started April 2 and to day is May 1st, 2022.

Tomorrow, Monday, May 2  is our first day of Eidul Fitr/Holiday. Usually it is a festive for two days or so. Other Places/Countries take the whole week as a celebration.

Part A: Here what we do before Eidul Fitr:

1: During the last week of Ramadhan or so, people with my culture prepare some sweets for Eid so that they can serve them with tea, coffee, juices when friends and relatives will visit during Eid.
2: Also, they serve themselves and their kids too.
3: During the last week of Ramadhan or so, they buy new clothes and shoes for the kids and sometimes even for themselves, if necessary and can afford it.
4: Give the necessary Charity, gifts etc.  to the poor before the Eidul Fitr Prayer so that they will help themselves and celebrate Eid like everyone else.
4: In addition to the above, every family must give about $12 - $15 per head to the poor. A family of 4 will give between 48 and $60. Its evaluations depends on the food prices and inflation. It must be out before Eidul Fitr Prayer. If you are poor and don't have, that is fine!

Part B: Here what everyone will do tomorrow, the first day of Eidul Fitr/Holidays:

1: Break the fast. It is prohibited to fast the first day of Eid. No one is fasting during the first day of Eid.
2: Take a shower, wear best clothes and smell good.
3: The kids, take a shower and usually, wear new clothes and shoes - for those who can afford it.
4: the whole family - parents and kids - goes to the Mosque around 7:30 am or so.

Part C: Here what we do in the Mosque in absence of COVID-19 during the first day of Eidul Fitr/Holidays:

1: Everyone will keep praising and glorifying Allah and Sending Blessings/Peace upon the Prophet in a beautiful harmony that you hear before entering the Mosque.
2: At around 8:00 am the Imaam/the one who leads the Congregational prayer and the speech/sermon will start the Eid Prayer;
3: the Prayer is 4 Prostrations followed by a Speech - everything may take 25 - 30 minutes. The only one who speaks is the Imam and all attendees will listen attentively.
4: When done with the prayer and the speech, everyone will greet everyone, especially those that he knows and wish them Happy Eidul Fitr and make supplications/prayers for them.
5: After that some will stay in the Mosque, some will go home and some will go to Restaurants and finish their celebration with a hearty breakfast.
6: the supplications that each one will say to those that he knows as well as those he does not know are: "Eid Mubarak! May Allah accept our deeds, May Allah forgive all of us, and make best wishes for the coming year to them."
7: Everyone should strive to meet and greet the maximum number of people after the Eidul Fitr Prayer is completed while in the Mosque and on his/her  way home.

Please Note that when the weather is good, all Moslems of a city try to pray in one big place instead of their own Mosque. In Greater Cleveland there are about a dozen Mosques. In order to do that, they meet before the end of Ramadhan and plan and organize and sometimes they meet and decide before the starting of Ramadhan. All depends on the availability and willingness of the leaders of Mosques. Although it is a religious celebration, There is some politics in the mix, unfortunately.

Part D: What will happen during the two days or so of Eidul Fitr Holiday?

1: During the two days or so of Eidul Fitr, there will be visit exchanges between friends and families.
2: Parents give money to their kids, take them to places such as amusement parks, fast food places, restaurants, buy them some treats, etc. Kids love it!
3: People with my culture, the adult ones, tend to give money to the kids - the kids love that too! Every kid will be boasting about how much he/she has collected.

That's more or less what most of us do and deal with during Eidul Fitr Holiday.

FYI.

Thanks for reading my post!

Have a great day.

Ali