[Ohio-talk] (no subject)

J. W. Smith jsmith1 at ohio.edu
Fri Nov 14 14:23:24 UTC 2008

Post office box 458 Athens, Ohio
45701-0458
Phone/Fax - 740-592-6326 or 1-800-396-6326
Email - Smithj at ohio.edu

Today it is cold outside but I have a warm spot in my heart because it is
Veterans Day. When I graduated from high school the Air Force called me and
they seemed very interested in having me join them at least until they
found out that I was blind. I've always wanted to be a part of the Air
Force and I have the utmost respect for our Veterans if you have not done
so already please find a way to celebrate and commemorate this day and pay
tribute to the men and women of our armed forces.

It has been a whirl-wind of activity for me since then end of the
convention on November 2nd. I've been trying to finish out the quarter here
at OU which thankfully ends for me on November 20th and I've been setting
up our office in my home. Please note our new contact information at the
beginning of this update and be patient with me as I have not yet received
the computer and other equipment that I will use primarily in our office. I
always believed that one should never take work home but it is clear to me
that to do this job effectively I need to have as many options as possible.
That is also why I want to use the email address listed above until I get
the right one for my home computer.

I am pleased to announce that Barbara Pierce will be our news letter editor
and I'm sure that she would want me to remind you of the November 15th
deadline for material for the next issue. Please join me in expressing my
deepest appreciation and love for Barbara and all that she has done and
continues to do for this affiliate. Her gracious spirit and competent
skills made our convention  as successful as it could be, I can only hope
that with your help we can continue to blossom and grow especially since
Barbara has provided so much fertile soil for us to plant future seeds of
success. I am also pleased to announce that Eric Duffy will continue to
spear-head our efforts in the areas of all things legislative and
technological. I've also requested that he oversee our Brailling capacity,
please join me in thanking him for 15 years of dedicated service to this
organization.

Finally, remember that to be considered for the Washington seminar you
should send me your name by December 1st. Also, attached to this update you
will find two documents. The first week in January is Braille literacy week
in Ohio and thus I am attaching a copy of our sample Braille literacy
proclamation. We should make a concerted effort to get as many
proclamations as we can next year in light of our Braille coin and the
200th anniversary of Louis Braille's birth. The second document with this
update is the 2009 combined leadership list for those of you wanting a
Braille copy of this I will send it to you just as soon as Eric gets them
completed. I will not be writing an update each week probably every other
week but be sure that I will keep you updated on any relevant issues. In
fact, there may be times when I may write two or three updates in one week
depending on what needs to be done at that time.

Dr. Smith