[Ohio-talk] Great Suggestions

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Tue Aug 25 03:57:12 UTC 2009

Hi Anette and Deborah,
I think these are really good comments. That is why we have the NFB, TO HELP EACH OTHER.
I think the suggestion about the Note from the Vet is great. If in fact the dog does have fleas they can be treated, if not, at least you have something to show to coworkers.
Workplace etiquette certainly demands more from people who work there. Deborah, you are right. It is really disrespectful to treat someone in this manner. After verifying that this rally happened and being sure that your fource of information is reliable, something needs to happen. The subtle approach might work but the more I think about it the more I think others witnessed and didn't say anything. Why? Fear, agreement, apathy, what?
The note may help. Moving seatsfor one or both of you if possible might also help.
I still can't imagine pouring flea powder on a dog if you are fearful. There is no way I would do that.
You really might have to confront this woman. Maybe the Note from the Ves is the first move.
If your dog really does have fleas, you will of course need to deal with that.
You do have a right to have your Guide Dog.
She has a right to work without shaking in her shoes and be able to concentrate.
To this end, your employer needs to allow change of seating.
I couldn't concentrate with a dog near me all day if I had to walk past it all the time or if it moved a lot. I am not saying your does that, Amy. Your dog seemed well-behaved at Toledo Chapter Meetings.
As we all know, though, I used to have such a fear that I literally shook when I heard a dog's tags.
I do not know how strong her fear is but it can't be that badif she would put flea powder on it.
Colleen Roth