[Ohio-talk] Question on Accessible Book Format

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Thu Aug 27 04:15:36 UTC 2009

Hi All,
I hope to get some feedback from this post.
A student came to me with a problem concerning books on PDF Formated files. The student told me that some PDF FILES CANNOT BE READ IN PARAGRAPHS BUT MUST BE READ IN LINES. I was also told that there is a way for the books to be formatted in Word.
Do any of you know what the rules are concerning what the University is supposed to do? Is it considered OK TO GIVE STUDENT BOOKS IN PDF Format even ifstudent requests Word documents? Is the Spirit of the Law being met with PDG FORMATTED FILES? How hard would it be for the student to convert them.
The student also wants to be able to read materials on Braille Note which will not work with PDF FILES.
I do not know enough about the Computer and PDF DOCUMENTS TO KNOW IF IT IS TRUE THAT Jaws will not work with some files in paragraph form and that it is difficult to use Jaws with this format.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Colleen Roth