[Ohio-talk] BUCKEYE UPDATE FOR DECEMBER 2, 2009

Dr. Smith jwsmithnfb at verizon.net
Wed Dec 2 21:15:44 UTC 2009

It is hard for me to believe that the end of this year is fast approaching and I don't know about you, but it's going to be a bit strange to say and write 2010!

I don't have a lot to report this time but I did want to tell you a few things.

1 I thought we had a great Convention in November and if I haven't said it or said it enough, thank you all for your love and patience as I tried to do my best as your new President. You made and continue too make my job a labor of love and each day I'm reminded as to why I am so proud of our affiliate.

I've asked Barbara Pierce and Deborah Kendrick to prepare a kind of Convention Roundup since we have decided to only publish 2 Newsletters next year in an effort to cut costs. Hopefully, you will be receiving that Convention Roundup in a few weeks or so and you know that they will do their usual excellent job.

2 Those that have been selected to attend the Washington seminar have been notified and we will be lieving out on Monday February 1st and returning on Wednesday February 3rd. For those of you that will not be going with us remember you can play a valuable role by contacting your local member of Congress and as soon as we get the issues for the year we will let you know and would appreciate all that you can do to make our jobs easier when we get their. Tom Anderson is a model for us in this regard because as soon as we hit his members office door, they have been softened up for us by Tom and he has more than prepared the way for us!

3 I will be attending the Miami Valley Chapter banquet on the 12th and let's hope that the weather allows it to be a great time because it seems as if they have been working hard to ensure a great gathering and program.

4 Remember that the January Board meeting will be held on the 23rd at the Lutheran Gethsemane church located at 35 East Stanton in Columbus. We will start at 10 and try to be done by3 and all are welcome.

5 Our 64th State Convention will be held at the Ramada Plaza in Columbus next year from November 5th through the 7th and remember that we will be having the Board meeting in the afternoon on the 5th in an effort to save some money by allowing people to come in on Friday and not Thursday. Of course as we get closer to the time, their still may be some reasons why some of you will need to arrive on Thursday the 4th, but the idea is to get things going at a time when most will not have to be their until that Friday the 5th. I'm only bringing this up now because this will be a significant change for us so I want you to be thinking about it and making plans accordingly as soon as possible.

6 I have purchased the 25 Louis Braille coins we discussed at our last Board meeting so keep your eyes open for opportunities for us to sell them and recoup our investment. As the years go by I believe that they will become more and more valuable so eventually we could even make some kind of profit on them and it is so exciting that we were here to see it happen and  too have the opportunity to spread the gospel of Braille far and wide in this state and around the world. One day we will be able to say we played a small part in all of this and isn't that awesome?

I may write one more brief update before the end of the year but only if I feel that it is really necessary. Please have a wonderful Holiday season and I don't know about you but I will be glued to my television for that parade in January. I'm so excited in fact, I wish that I could go and be apart of this historic event! Let's all pray for the safety of all who will be going with the band and do all that we can to spread the word about it. If someone can record some good coverage of it please do so and share it with us all. I want the McClains to tell us all about it when they get back please? I have never watched the Rose Bowl parade in my life, but because the Ohio State School For The Blind will be performing in it this year I will be doing all that I can to increase the ratings for this years parade!

OH      IO, OH    IO,  OH     IO.

jw

Dr. J. Webster Smith
President National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
P.O.BOX 458 Athens, Ohio, 45701-0458
Phone Number - 740-592-6326
"Changing What it Means to be Blind"