[Ohio-talk] Ohio Guide Dog Chapter.

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 14 20:42:09 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I've been on vacation, so am catching up on two weeks worth of messages.
Forgive me for beginning at the end and working my way back, but this looks
like some clarification is in order.
Apparently, Deanna posted the announcement of our alumni chapter here, and I
can see how it would be confusing, especially to people who don't have dogs.
Here's the situation.  Guide Dogs for the Blind established an alumni
association four years ago.  To my knowledge, they are the only dog guide
school to have done so.  Think of it as equivalent to the alumni association
for say, your favorite college or your favorite school for the blind.
Chapters of graduates from this school create an opportunity to talk about
the school, the training, sometimes raise funds, and generally share the one
common bond of being graduates from that school.
This is in no way equivalent to or in competition with an NFB division.  I
do indeed hope our little group in NFB Ohio dog users grows up to be a
dividion and I believe Debbie Baker will make it happen.  I will do what I
can to help it thrive and grow.  Helping Deanna start an alumni chapter of
graduates from Guide Dogs for The Blind who live in Ohio is another area
where I hope I can help. This chapter is akin to a NFB Guide Dogs division
in the same sort of way that the OSSB Alumni Association is akin to our own
revived student division. As I write that, I realize it's a fuzzy analogy,
but I have 4000 more messages to go, so please fill in the blanks for me!
  Deanna, I know you have just joined the list, so hope this message doesn't
embarrass you.  It just looked to me like some explanation was needed.
Deanna came to us via the mentoring program and is a great addition indeed.
In just two short years, she has begun carrying a cane, trained with a guide
dog, begun to read Braille (and is pariticipating in Braille Readers are
Leaders, by the way), and has now attended two of our state conventions.
Again, I jumped in here to be sure her enthusiasm didn't get rained on or
reined in!
Deborah