[Ohio-talk] great ideal about the white canes off the chapter presidents list

richard payne rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 18 20:25:03 UTC 2009

We talked briefly about an idea at the Membership Seminar that worked well for our Central Oklahoma Chapter.  We are a new chapter and are actively trying to contact and meet new members.  Something that worked and that we will be doing again was to circulate a flyer offering a FREE white cane to those attending the next meeting.  We did this in conjunction with our December Meeting / Christmas party.  We sent the flyer via e-mail and through snail mail.  I also distributed them to Visual Services.  We had 5 new people attend our meeting and three of them were blind.  All three requested white canes.  I am hopeful that they will all continue to participate.  The next time we do this , I will request for Visual Services to send this to all consumers.  We also have an opportunity for some free advertising.  We will try to incorporate the free cane message into that as well.  Our flyer stated boldly "The gift of Freedom and Independence from the National Federation of the Blind." Attend a meeting and receive a Free white cane!

  If you have questions, let me know.  E-mail me at

jmassay1
@cox.net.

  Good  luck to everyone in your recruiting efforts.