[Ohio-talk] The Attendance of General Sessions?

Everett Gavel e.gavel at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 14 11:03:52 UTC 2009

Hi Colleen, and All,

Thanks for your response, Colleen.  I'll respond to a couple of points of
yours:

1) I understand that those who are sponsored by the NFB, meaning those who
get help, get funding to be able to attend, are "expected" to go to general
sessions and some other meetings.  But that's my question and point of
clarification.  Instead of making it seem slightly Hitleresque by simply
saying we need to be there, I'm asking *why,* is all.  It's that simple.

I've put myself out there by asking this question. Because I heard a
couple-few grumbles when mentioning it to others during the convention and
not having a clear answer as to why, other than, "Because we're expected
to."  So I've gone public with this, in the hopes that somewhere in our
various leadership throughout the affiliate, we will get some beauty, some
'poetic clarity' shared that will help enthuse others towards being more
involved every day at future conventions.

Many will read this, I hope.  But even if only a few 'new' minds grasp the
reasons as to why, at least they can then help others grasp why a bit better
in the future.  This would get a better response than simply telling
someone, "Because we need to, that's all," if that makes sense?

2)  While I wasn't at convention for a vacation, I understand what you're
saying.  It'll probably prove out that way with some again this year,
unfortunately.  I do remember several years ago, one of our chapter members
who was involved back when it was more convenient for her, and she went to a
national convention, and seemed to be poolside all week long.  As we know,
the leadership does tend to take notice of who actually goes to learn and at
least tries to help out--be it at convention or back in the local chapter or
both, versus those who basically treat it like a vacation.

Me, I'm fairly happy with my personal results.  I helped out more this year
in various volunteering ways than at any previous convention.  Plus I got to
encourage and help inspire a few different people fairly new to the
organization.  It was great, and it's what I love doing.  I'm a social sort.
I love meeting new people, and love adventuring out - even if we do
occasionally get lost (Hush now, Mr. Payne).  I did channel much of my
energy towards exactly what you mention, Colleen.  Though I fudged the
scheduling over the weekend and missed a handful of meetings due to that,
well, again, I still did better than before, and that's what it's all about.

I was doing what I could to encourage various conventiongoers, while
learning and experiencing things myself.  Though I continue to struggle to
have a week full of 2am nights and 5:30am mornings, I did better this year
than any year previous.  I'm getting closer to my personal 'goal' of keeping
up with JW and Richard and socializing in the evenings while still getting
business done during the day--every day.  I am a very social sort of person.
I enjoy the 'schmoozing.'  I love meeting new people.  And so to go to bed
early at conventions is hard.  I did what I could to encourage people from
Toledo, from Akron, and even a new friend from Chicago who was new to the
NFB.  And I think she's caught the fever, and is hooked.  She's definitely
inspired, anyway.  And if things play out the way I hope and pray, she'll be
working with Marilyn Donehey to start a new chapter in their region, North
of Chicago.

So those are a few great reasons why I go, anyway.  To get reinvigorated,
myself - and to prove to myself that I actually am getting better
year-by-year.  And to inspire, motivate, and educate others every chance I
get.  Certainly not for a vacation.  Though when you do so many positive
things, and end up helping so many people - and bringing back information
and resources to further help those in your community, Thank You God, it
ends up feeling rather like a vacation after all.  How great is that?
Thanks again, Ohio, for letting me be a part of it!

Strive On!
Everett