[Ohio-talk] Convention Mentors

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Wed Jul 15 04:16:53 UTC 2009

Hi Crystal,
I just want to say that part of being a Mentor at Convention is strongly encouraging your mentee to attend sessions. You probably also need to show them the ropes in other areas and invite them to participate in activities with you.
When I spent time with first time conventioneers years ago I always invited them to go to meals with me, to sessions and introduced them to people.
You are right, Crystal. There is more than sessions. Convention is sessions, division and group meetings, volunteering, networking navigating a lot of area, cooperating with others and remembering to be courteous. It's also nice to have some fun.
Personally, I enjoyed visiting with Dawn, her husband and son. Marilee and I enjoyed this. I do wish I could have been there long enough to see people I haven't seen in years.
At least I can see some Ohio people at the Board Meeting and State Convention.
Maybe we can literally assign mentors to new conventioneers if that is being done now.
If you are not a newbie encourage newbies to attend activities and invite them to join you. I am not talking about just the fun stuff either.
Actually you can really have a lot of fun working a table. I do love helping at a table and always hope for an assignment at the State Convention.
There is definitely a lot of walking at the Convention. I did forget how crowded it is too.
Someone wanted to know why we couldn't just take the wheelchair down the escalator. I can't quite figure out how we were going to do this.
The person said wheelchairs take up too much room on the elevator. Oh, well!
Maybe we could have something for those who have never attended a National Convention or those who have questions about them.
Colleen Roth