[Ohio-talk] Fw: NFB email address

Everett Gavel e.gavel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 22:39:54 UTC 2009

Eric, in regards to your point on an e-mail address, there are a few
options, even if you can't or don't get an address at the domain(s) of
@nfb.org or @nfbohio.org.

As one example, the president of the NJ affiliate, I think it is, uses an
address of something like NFBNJ at hotmail.com or whatever the actual domain to
the right of the at-sign might be.  You could do something similar for your
chapter with any free account.  GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.

Additionally, you could get a Web site and domain specifically for your
chapter.  Such as the one our chapter is in the process of moving and
updating to right now:  www.nfb-akron.org/

You can get free hosting at numerous hostsites (Tripod.com, AngelFire.com,
etc.), though they will add advertising to the tops and bottoms of every
page, as well as (usually) pop-up ads to anyone who visits your pages.

Or you could pay as little as $4.95  or so, for ad-free pages.  Some domain
sellers also give a few free pages worth of space with each domain bought.
GoDaddy(.com), for instance, gives you the option to host a small site with
some pages, plus the use of multiple e-mail possibilities, with each domain
they sell you.  And domains are usually $10 or less per year.  But I don't
know if GoDaddy also puts ads onto your pages.  I'm assuming yes, until told
otherwise.  Because it's just another form of revenue for them.

Now, if you buy a domain, there's another option.  See, domains forward to
where you tell them to go.  Right now my www.everettgavel.com address
forwards to my free hosted site at Tripod, which is actually at
www.everettgavel.tripod.com.

But you could forward the domain visitors anywhere.  For instance, we are
right now moving our chapter site and updating it.  We'll be hosting it at
the www.nfbnet.org site soon.  You could talk with David Andrews who runs
the NFBNet.org e-mail listhost site.  He could probably give your chapter a
free site with no ads, as well--as he did for our chapter site--and many
chapters, affiliates, and divisions across the nation.

Once your chapter has its own domain, e-mail addresses could be setup for
whatever name you choose.  President at yourchapterdomain.com,
EricB at yourchapterdomain.com, studmuffint at yourchapterdomain.com, whatever you
care to use.

As an example, I don't currently have a site up for viewing, for my company
domain, SuccessfulAdaptations.com.  But I use an e-mail address at that
domain.  But if someone types in the URL, www.successfuladaptations.com,
they'll get forwarded to where I have it set up to forward people to, which
is my EverettGavel.com domain and site.

Hope that helps to inspire.

Strive On!
Everett