[Ohio-talk] A Gary Indiana Memory

Dr. Smith jwsmithnfb at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 13:51:03 UTC 2009

In light of the passing of Mr. Jackson, I was thinking about when I lived in Gary Indiana from 1970 to 1985.

I would walk by the Jackson family house frequently as I went to visit one of the elderly Mothers in our church.

I use to go their and play the piano for her and on more than one occasion I'd stop just outside of that house at 2300 Jackson street and wonder what memories lurked within!

In 1983 I had the opportunity to work briefly with one of the early producers of the Jackson family and he told me that they were one of the most gifted families he had ever seen and despite his bitterness at how they left Gary, he was convinced that the world would hear from them.

What an understatement!

JW

Dr. J. Webster Smith
President National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
P.O.BOX 458 Athens, Ohio, 45701-0458
Phone Number - 740-592-6326
"Changing What it Means to be Blind"