[Ohio-talk] Fw: services for the blind

richard payne rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 28 21:43:45 UTC 2009

fyi
----- Original Message -----
From: Senator Seitz
To: richard payne
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:16 AM
Subject: RE: services for the blind

Dear Mr. Payne,

Thank you for your letter.  Tough times demand tough measures, and consolidating the two Libraries for the Blind was a measure supported by both the Cincinnati and Cleveland library operations.  I have attached correspondence from the Director of the Cincinnati Library explaining the process that lead to the decision and attesting to her belief that services will not be adversely affected.  While it is true that the library does not propose eliminating the movie department, I amended state law some years ago to allow libraries to charge for all services other than books.  Therefore, the library has it within its power to make the movie department self-sustaining through patron charges.

I am sure Ms. Fender wishes we had limitless monies to support both libraries, but we do not.  In fact, we are in the midst of a depression without parallel in my 54 years on earth.  Therefore, the tough call was made on the local level to do what is being done, and it is highly unlikely that we would reverse that move, since the state faces a multibillion dollar revenue shortfall of its own.

Thank you for writing.  We all pray for brighter times ahead.

Sincerely,

William J. Seitz

Enclosure