[Ohio-talk] More information about international copyright

Barbara Pierce bbpierce at pobox.com
Fri May 29 19:37:59 UTC 2009

This post followed my last. We should still write to the Obama
administration. We cannot allow publishers to have things their own way.

Barbara

A new draft of the conclusions from the WIPO SCCR is now out. The draft is
quite good. There are 18 paragraphs.

Here is paragraph 2

2. The Committee expressed its appreciation for the Proposal by Brazil,
Ecuador and Paraguay Relating to Limitations and Exceptions: Treaty Proposed
by the World Blind Union (WBU). Views were expressed:

supporting the proposal for a binding instrument; expressing the wish for
more time to analyze it; expressing the desire to continue the work on the
basis of a global and inclusive framework; and expressing that deliberations
regarding any instrument would be premature. Member states will continue to
consult on these issues at national level and report on the activities and
views on possible solutions. This proposal, together with other possible
proposals and contributions by the Members of the Committee, will be
discussed at the nineteenth session of the SCCR.

For those who did not attend, I can tell you that this result is quite good
(certainly much better than we expected), and reflects the value of the
extensive efforts by the members of the WBU, civil society NGOs and
developing country governments who overcame very very determined resistance
by a nearly united front of right owners who opposed a treaty in this area,
and the stiff resistance from the European Union, and the opposition from
the United States and other members of "Group B"

countries in WIPO, who had argued it was "premature" to have such
discussions, and who wanted WIPO to focus its efforts on a combination of
sharing of information on national regimes and voluntary solutions only.