[Ohio-talk] Information for folks in the Cleveland area from Larry Lewis

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Mon Sep 14 13:46:34 UTC 2009

Those of you who know me well know that I've always had an interest in and
have practiced a few different Martial Arts.  I find that when I'm doing so,
it's relatively easy for me to keep all aspects of my life in balance as
well as stay physically fit.  A few years ago, I began my journey studying
Gracie-Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracie_Jiu_Jitsu#Origin  This discipline is a
grappling art that focuses on a direct physical connection with one's
training partner, opponent, or assailant and unlike some of the striking
arts that I've practiced, puts vision impaired participants on an equal
playing field with their sighted peers.  It's also the most effective art
designed for weaker or compromised individuals to defend themselves against
larger, stronger attackers.  It focuses on leverage and technique verses
strength and power, enabling the Jiu Jitsu practitioner the option of
dictating the outcome of a confrontation on their terms.

Last year, my Jiu Jitsu instructor Darren Branch, along with the assistance
of "yours truly" and a couple of other seasoned members of our Jiu Jitsu
Team hosted a self-defense seminar totally customized for persons who are
vision impaired. Darren was probably more excited by the prospect of hosting
a self-defense seminar than I was, and the end result was amazing. We spent
almost three hours working with a great group of people, and many of you are
receiving this announcement this year.

We're pleased to announce that on October 24, 2009 from 1:30-4:30 p.m., The
Evolution Jiu Jitsu Academy http://evolutionjj.com/about.html will be
hosting this exciting opportunity for vision impaired participants for the
2nd time!  We're located at 3965 Mayfield Road, Cleveland Heights, OH 44121
on the Northwest corner of Warrensville and Mayfield adjacent to the BP gas
station.  This location is steps away from a couple of different bus stops,
and I'm more than willing to assist participants in how to get to the
Academy using public transportation.

The seminar will be led by instructor Darren Branch who has intently trained
for over five years under instructors David Adiv, Donald Park, and the
world-famous Royler Gracie, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royler_Gracie who
is one of the creators of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  The class will begin with
some brief introductions as well as a warm-up.  We're keeping the class size
to no more than 12 participants so that Darren, myself, and a couple other
advanced students can break the participants into small groups to drill the
various techniques that will be taught.  Half of the seminar will focus on
defending oneself from the feet against an attacker while the latter half of
the seminar will focus on defending one's self in the event that he/she ends
up on the ground.  This seminar will be relatively safe for participants
because all participants will be practicing these techniques on Darren,
myself, and the other advanced assistants, and no prior Martial Arts
experience is necessary.  The class will be somewhat rigorous, but we'll
make sure there's time for a ten to fifteen minute break to rest and
rehydrate about halfway through the seminar.  The cost for the seminar is
US$40 for the entire seminar or US$25 for either the first or second half of
the seminar.  If at all possible, it would be optimal for the user to
participate in the entire seminar.  Those who are interested may contact me
directly using any of the details within my signature at the end of this
message.  Once an individual has decided to participate, I'll be sending
him/her a waver in an accessible, electronic format to review and sign when
he/she arrives for the seminar.

This is an amazing opportunity for vision impaired individuals.  We live in
a society where it's fashionable for a certain element of society to prey
upon those who are perceived to be at a disadvantage.  This seminar will
offer a monumental step for the vision impaired participant to confidently
handle a physical confrontation, should the situation arise.

For those who are participating, please bring with you some sweat pants or
shorts and a t-shirt.  There are changing facilities at the academy if one
wishes to change there.  Participants should arrive between 1:00-1:25 p.m.
to ensure that we start promptly at 1:30 p.m.  For any additional questions
regarding this event, please feel free to contact me.  Also, feel free to
use any of the above information within any announcements you wish to
prepare for any respective consumer or recreational groups.

With Much Respect:

Larry L. Lewis, Jr.
Vice President, Marketing

Evolution Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Home Office Phone: +1 (216) 381-8107
E-Mail: Larry at evolutionjj.com

Barbara Pierce, Editor

Braille Monitor

237 Oak Street

Oberlin, OH 44074

Phone/fax: 440-775-2216

 <mailto:bpierce at nfb.org> bpierce at nfb.org

America faces a Braille literacy crisis.

<https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId
=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&identifier=4000> Be part of the solution.