[Ohio-talk] Opportunity For Input

Everett Gavel everettgavel at att.net
Tue Aug 10 01:47:34 UTC 2010

Hi JW, and All,

What to ask BSVI?

How about the fact -- the fact -- that they are telling
clients that they are no longer sending people
out-of-state for training, despite in some instances it
being a clear and well-thought-out choice, informed
choice to do so by the client?

Meaning, me for example, had to give up on their
'service,' move away from my kids whom I have not now
seen since January, and won't see them until my
Louisiana program ends in 2 months and I'll move back
to simply sign up with the Ohio Rehab Services again?

It was an informed choice.  I submitted more than once
in my 5+ years of fighting to get here, a 21-page
report detailing all the reasons why the LCB was the
better training option for long-term success, over any
option in Ohio.  They appear to have ignored it, both
times.

Apparently there is once again no real backbone with
this organization, as with so many others.  Nothing of
substance beyond the words they spout to sound
politically correct -- like so many organizations these
days.

Lord knows we sometimes choose centers outside Ohio --
as many states do -- over their own localized training
options.  Because if we're being honest about the 'big
picture,' a majority of localized training is too often
mediocre at best -- and bordering on incompetence when
it comes to truly believing in the abilities and
possibilities of someone who is blind.

Budget concerns should not (legally can not if someone
pursued it I'd think) overrule their own laws and
rules.  Ignoring the Informed Choice part of their
service is ludicrous, not to mention a piss-poor job of
justice or being helpful and truly useful.  And that
surely is not simply this one man's opinion and we all
know it.

Ask them that, perhaps?  Hopefully you'll be better at
it than me, JW.  I usually choose to purposely bypass
the supposed etiquette of politically-correct-speak.
I'm not a good politician.  I want to be told things in
a straightforward manner even when they seem blunt, and
that's how I choose to share information most times,
too.  Tell 'em how it is, JW.  They're screwing with
people's lives, and not for the betterment of them, but
merely for budgeting concerns -- and it's only been
getting worse for years.

I haven't seen my kids in 8 months! And I won't see
them for at least 10 total, just to get decent training
and a better chance at achieving my dreams, achieving
success.  If the RSC had done the right thing, I
would've still been a resident of Ohio, had a place to
come back to while the LCB training center is closed at
various times, and gotten to see my kiddos now and
then.  But maybe family matters as much as clients'
futures to the ORSC, when the budget is brought up?

So, JW, ask them about the legality and honest-to-God
concerns if they have any, about choosing again and
again to ignore the Informed Choice stipulation of
their creed?

Thanks, JW.  See you in a few months, Sir.

Strive On,
Everett
everett at everettgavel.com
(330) 604-5750