[Ohio-talk] Fw: hello information

Annette Anderson afanderson at pobox.com
Tue Aug 17 00:23:03 UTC 2010

Cherylelaine19957 at gmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Crystal McClain
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:48 PM
To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
Subject: [Ohio-talk] Fw: hello information

----- Original Message -----
From: Crystal McClain
To: Richard
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: hello information

Richard,
Lou Ann Blake led the seminar at national. In the handout i got it says to
get copies of the free Voter's Guide from the NFB independence market (410)
659-9314 and electronic files are available at
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/HAVAlegislation.asp The seminar gave 6 steps to
holding a voter registration drive. This is alot of information and I sure
it will be helpful. Crystal

HOW TO HOLD A VOTER REGISTRATION DRIVE TO REGISTER THE BLIND MEMBERS OF YOUR
COMMUNITY IN SIX EASY STEPS

Step one: Develop a Plan of Action
a. forma  committee which will select a location, date, and time for the
drive: gather the necessary materials; and work the drive.
b. Decide where it will take place. It could be a library, a rehab center,
senior center or where you have your chapter meetings. make sure to have
tables and chairs available. make sure it accessible by public
transportation if posible.
c. Decide when to have the drive. BE SURE TO KNOW THE DEADLINE FOR THE CLOSE
OF REGISTRATION BEFORE THE NEXT ELECTION.

Step two: Gather the materials you will need

a. Contact your local elections office to learn their requirements for
registering voters and to obtain voter registration cards and voter
information materials. Request that these be provided in Braille and large
print in available. Note: some state require you to take an oath to become
an honoary registrar.
b. Contact your local League of Women Voters. They can provide additional
information. They may also assist you during  the drive. www.lwv.org
c. obtain the Blind Voter's Guide in Braille, large print, and audio
cassette.
d. Make arrangements to have a demonstration model accessible voting machine
available for voter training and practice voting during the drive.
e. have tables and chairs and create a festive atmosphere.
f. Provide pens and clipboards for filling out the voter registration forms.

Step three- Coordinate your Volunteeers
a. train volunteers for the drive and on the set up and operation of the
accessible voting machine.

b. Voter registration drives conducted by a 501(c) (3) nonprofit
organization must be conducted in a nonpartisan manner. You may tell people
how to register, the dates of the election and how to find out their polling
place. You may not endorse a candidate or a party.
c. Review a list of frequently asked questions and answers. (I will send
that list later)
d. Consider if you might need to provide transportation for the drive.

Step four- Publicize your Drive
a. include who, what, when, where and why in all of your publicity
materials. Be sure to emphasize if an accessible voting machine will be
available.Include a phone number. Include NFB OHIO logo and chapter
information on all material.
b. Newspaper, organization newsletter, library for the blind newsletter and
ask rehab agency to send email to their mailing lists.
d. Run a public service announcement on local radio and television stations.
e. thank your volunteers.

Step 5 During the Drive
a. Federal Elections Commission rules require that a sign be posted stating:
"Our voter registration services are available without regard to voter's
political preference."
b. Encourage people to complete forms at the table not to take it home.
Review forms and make sure they are completed correctly beform the person
leaves.
c. Encourage people to try the accessible voting machine.
d. Collect completed forms to either mail or take to your local election
office in person.
e. Get the names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses
of new registrants to let them know about future events your chapter and
affliate is planning for the blind members of your community.
f. Thank each registrant for taking the time to become a new voter.

Step six- After the Drive

a. Get the completed forms delivered to the local election office ASAP.
b. Evaluate the success of your drive.
C. Contact the National Federation of the Blind HAVA Project Manager, Lou
Ann Blake, by email at lblake at nfb.org or by telephone at (410) 659-9314,
extension 2221 to report on your voter registration drive and to provide
your next voter registation drive.

  a suggested timeline is also available for planning your Voter
Registration Drive.