[Ohio-talk] State convention comments

Carol Akers purplecakers at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 02:24:27 UTC 2010

Hello to all!
This was a great convention!  There were many great speakers and topics,
opportunies to get to know others better, meet some new folks and raise funds
for the organization.  Good job Dr Smith.   I am honored to be the newest
President of the Parents Division and have many ideas for the future.  I may
call on the "pro's" of our organization for assistance with some of these ideas!

I was also honored and surprised to be the recipient of the "Ruth Garwood"
award.  I have always been willing to work and give of my time where and when
needed, without thinking of it as work.  I enjoy being a part of the NFB and
recieve back much more than I think I give.  As I said in my tearful, humble
words of acceptance, "the NFB is my family and often is more of a family than my
own."  You all understand, offer a shoulder when needed, confirmation or
redirection when necessary and so much more than I would ever be able to
express!
More than two decades!  Wow how time and memories fly!  I have enjoyed it all.
I appreciate everyone of you, as you have all played a significant role in my
growth, understanding of diversity and made me a better parent and person.
Thank you for all YOU have given me, Dusty and his sister Tiffany, who also
learned "it is ok to be blind" and that as a sighted person, she can help change
the perception of those around her.

Carol Akers