[Ohio-talk] prayer needed.

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 04:58:51 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I mentioned during the NFB Philosophy seminar that I would be going to
Cincinnati Association for the Blind (CABVI) which houses the Radio Reading
Service (RRS) station. I will be auditioning to read books or magazines for
that station and maybe do some other volunteer work such as running the
audio board for that station.  I don't think there have been a blind person
who is well versed in computer or other technology products or who is fluent
in reading Braille since I read Braille on a daily basis as a Braille
Proofreader at Clovernook Center for the Blind. Thanks to Newsline, I will
be able to access various newspapers such as Cincinnati Enquirer, USA Today
and other newspapers and will be using my PacMate and Braille display in
reading these publications with FSReader. I am sure that there are still
many blind people who are still using a live reader over radio reading
service who have not made the switch to reading the newspaper or magazine
over the phone. I am sure that some people who are elderly would have a hard
time understanding the text to speech system now in place on many computers
for the blind. I am aware that some radio reading service stations have a
telephone service in which some of the newspapers and magazines are read and
can be obtained by using a user id and password that is similar to Newsline.
I know it is more expensive using a live reader versus a text to speech
system found on Newsline.

I know that some radio reading service stations have blindness content and
others do not.

Please keep me in prayer as I go through this audition tomorrow on Thursday,
November 11, 2010. I will let everyone know how it turns out. If I make it,
bells will be ringing for another opportunity in giving back to the
community. Not many cities have radio reading service for the blind and I
know that there are about a hundred stations scattered throughout the
country.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio