[Ohio-talk] Fw: THIS IS URGENT AND VERY SERIOUS PASS IT ON!

Sheri Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Thu Oct 21 16:18:00 UTC 2010

Folks,

When ever such messages come by, it's a good idea to reference snopes.com or some other urban legends collection source.

This story about poison perfume samples mailed to people's homes is a hoax. No need to worry.  Here is information from the snopes.com resource and the URL if you want to read about all the similar material archived there:
I enjoy snopes.com.  It's a fun way to pass your time and quite reassuring usually.
Best,
Sheri W-J

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/perfume.asp

In June 2010 a version of this hoax prefaced with an "URGENT News from Gleneagles Hospital" headline surfaced and was disseminated not only via e-mail but also through cell phone text messages and Facebook posts. It spread widely enough that that institution posted a disclaimer on its web site noting that:

Recently, an email and short message service (SMS) has been circulating amongst members of the public pertaining to a poisonous perfume sample which caused the death of seven women upon inhalation and exposure. It was purportedly sent by a person who claimed to be an employee of Gleneagles Hospital Limited, on behalf of the hospital, in order to warn the public as these seven women were supposedly admitted and treated at Gleneagles Hospital.

We understand the panic and mystification that this email has caused and the public's need to seek verification and consolation from a reliable medical institution such as ours. Thus, we would like to highlight that we have never admitted or treated such patients and have never been aware of such incidences. We would also like to categorically state that this email did not originate from our Hospital and / or any of our employees, current or otherwise. In addition, we declare that no one was ever at any time commissioned or authorised by the Hospital to deliver and circulate such warnings. Further to this, we would also like to point out that our registered company name is Gleneagles Hospital (Kuala Lumpur) Sdn. Bhd. (Co. No. 198498-T) and we were never at any point known as Gleneagles Hospital Limited as claimed in the email.

This email hoax first surfaced five years ago, and we had posted a statement on the GIMC website to clarify and inform members of the public that the contents of the email were a hoax.

In view of the above, we sincerely hope that all members of the public who had read this email and our clarification will inform everyone around them that this is a hoax and urge everyone to ignore and delete such emails in the future. Thank you.