[Ohio-talk] eBay and National Federation of the Blind Partner to Increase Ecommerce Job Opportunities

Everett Gavel everettgavel at att.net
Thu Sep 16 11:59:47 UTC 2010

Just sharing the good news.
Strive On!
Everett

eBay and National Federation of the Blind Partner to
Increase Ecommerce Job Opportunities
9/15/2010
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=663

News Release
Contacts:
Press Hotline  press at ebay.com
Kathy Chui  katchui at ebay.com  (408) 218-9257
Chris Danielsen  CDanielsen at nfb.org  (410) 262-1281

eBay and National Federation of the Blind Partner to
Increase Ecommerce Job Opportunities
 Innovative Partnership aims to empower blind Americans
to gain employment, start businesses while buying and
selling on eBay

San Jose, Calif. - September 15, 2010 - eBay, the world's
largest online marketplace, and the National Federation
of the Blind (NFB) today announced a partnership to
create more opportunities for blind Americans to access
eBay as buyers and sellers.

eBay.com now includes enhanced features for users to
buy, bid and sell using the keyboard alone, as well as
improved ways to navigate content using assistive
technologies such as screen access software. The blind
can now more easily connect with eBay's 92 million
users and shop from 200 million live listings.

"We have great respect for the advocacy role the NFB
plays in creating employment opportunities for the
blind," said John Donahoe, President and CEO of eBay
Inc. "eBay has built a reputation as a driver of job
creation by helping entrepreneurs start up and grow
their businesses. We are excited about connecting with
an even wider audience through this partnership and
providing blind Americans with easier access to our
marketplace for both buying and selling."

"eBay is demonstrating true leadership and commitment
to accessibility, along with creating exciting
opportunities for blind Americans," said Dr. Marc
Maurer, President of the National Federation of the
Blind. "The National Federation of the Blind is
thrilled with the accessibility of eBay's buying and
selling experience, and we look forward to working
together with eBay on employment opportunities for
blind Americans. This partnership demonstrates that
when the blind and business leaders work together,
everyone wins."

With seventy percent of blind Americans either
unemployed or underemployed1, job creation is critical
to tackle the employment challenges facing the blind.
The NFB and eBay aim to provide additional tools and
support to the blind community to enable their success
on eBay such as:

Providing seed funding for promising blind
entrepreneurs
Recruiting members of the blind community to become
eBay Trainers to educate other blind individuals in
selling on eBay
Creating an NFB ecommerce store on the eBay platform

About eBay
Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay Inc.
(NASDAQ:EBAY) connects hundreds of millions of buyers
and sellers globally on a daily basis through eBay, the
world's largest online marketplace. For more
information about the company and our global portfolio
of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation
of the Blind is the largest and most influential
membership organization of blind people in the United
States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through
advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is
the leading force in the blindness field today and the
voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB
opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind. For