[Ohio-talk] FW: Local Study on Sleep and Blindness

Eric Burghardt sinat1 at embarqmail.com
Tue Sep 21 17:40:49 UTC 2010

From: Sara Dale [mailto:Sara.Dale at vandapharma.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:46 PM
To: sinat1 at embarqmail.com
Subject: Local Study on Sleep and Blindness

Dear Mr. Burghardt

I am from Vanda Pharmaceuticals, a Biotech Company in Rockville, MD.  I am
emailing because we are trying to reach out to blind individuals and would
like to know if you would be willing to help us. We have worked closely with
the NFB national offices and have placed announcements in their
publications.  We are now reaching out to local chapters as we have clinical
trial sites located across the country.  I believe that some members of the
Greater Toledo Chapter of the NFB may be interested in learning about our
effort to better understand sleep problems in people who are totally blind.

We are currently launching clinical trials to test a new experimental
treatment for blind individuals who suffer from a sleep disorder known as
Non-24 Hour Sleep Wake Disorder. In the US, this disorder affects
approximately 65,000 totally blind individuals who have this disorder
because they lack the light sensitivity necessary to reset their "body
clock".  Would you be willing to send an announcement to your members about
our clinical trials?  Do you have an email list through which we could send
information?

We gladly welcome the opportunity to talk to you about our plans and to
learn more about you and your organization. We also would appreciate if you
could pass this information along to other individuals in your organization
and your community who may be interested by this research.

Below is an announcement about upcoming sleep studies that some totally
blind individuals may be interested in.

Clinical Research Study Recruitment

Blind individuals with no light perception needed.

A local doctor is conducting research to evaluate a new investigational
treatment for insomnia and daytime sleepiness in totally blind individuals.

Individuals may qualify who:

. are between 18 and 75 years of age

. are blind with no light perception

. have trouble sleeping at night or experience daytime sleepiness

Qualified participants will receive study medication and study-related
medical evaluation at no cost.

For more information: Call 1-888-389-7033 M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET

Thank you for your time!

Sara

Sara Dale

Clinical Research Associate