[Ohio-talk] Wonderful convention in Orlando

Carol Akers purplecakers at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 16:39:38 UTC 2011

Now that we have survived another wonderful and HOT, convention...........back to the real world!  The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort sent out an email survey to folks who registered online.  I hope you all respond to it and let them know how they did and what you thought of the accommodations.  Personally, I gave them high marks and comments on their pleasant attitudes, helpfulness without being overbearing and the great atmosphere.  The only suggestion I had was free Wi Fi.For those of you who did not visit the pool (I went the last eve) boy did you miss out.  The pool (s) were awesome! The sessions for parents were great, as were the speakers.  I also participated in a Leadership program which was full of great ideas, resources and support.  The general sessions were really informative regarding the modifications to the quiet car, the blind driver challenge and the problem with unfair less than minumum wages for the blind.  Glad we were able to
 help by signing a petition against it while we were there.
As always, it is good to hear what the organization is doing to change things and help blind persons who are being discriminated against.  It was also nice to hear Mr Rosen's story of how he got to where he is today, owning mutitple "Rosen" properties.  A humble beginning from immigrant grandparents who wanted a better life- to a millionaire.  BUT he is using his status to help others.  He has assisted many immigrants by employing them, treating them well and assisting such disasters as the rebuilding of Haiti.  It was obvious that the hotel staff from housekeepers to valet were well treated and enjoyed/appreciated their jobs, as displayed by their attitude and interactions with our group.  They  took to heart the "blindness education" that they had been given, by being supportive, descriptive and assistive when necessary.  Great choice Dr Maurer!All for now!
Carol Akers