[Ohio-talk] BUCKEYE UPDATE for May 25, 2011

J.W. Smith jwsmithnfb at frontier.com
Wed May 25 14:30:20 UTC 2011

Please join me in praying for those that have been so tragically impacted by
the recent storms and tornados throughout our country, and please be safe
these next few days as it seems that some of this weather may be headed our
way.

The Athens Fund Raiser

The fund raiser held here in Athens on Sunday, May 22nd, was quite
successful, and I appreciate those of you that were able to attend.  As you
might expect, it takes a lot of work to put something like this together,
but it is quite rewarding when it turns out as well as it did on Sunday.
Despite this tough economy, I think our final total will be a nice one, even
as checks continue to come in.  Please put next year's event on your
calendar, as it will correspond to the release of my first secular
recording, and some of the proceeds from that project will come to our
affiliate as well.

Attention Chapter Presidents

Don't forget that we have asked chapters to help with the cost of purchasing
the iPad 2, that we will be raffling off at the convention in Orlando.  We
have asked for at least $50.00 from each chapter, but of course we will take
whatever contributions you can make.  Some chapters have already
contributed, and I hope that others will as well.  Sell those tickets! Also,
I need for you to get Jernigan raffle ticket stubs to me if you want me to
turn them in at the convention, and you should send your money to Sherry
Ruth.  I will be calling each of you, probably next week, so that we can get
an idea of how much we should write the check for, for the Jernigan tickets.
Remember also, that it has been our recent practice to ask chapters to help
with our contribution to door prizes for the convention.  We voted on
$200.00 this year, so any chapter contributions toward this endeavor would
be greatly appreciated.  You should send those checks to Sherry as well,
with door prizes in the memo line, but with the checks made out to the NFB
of Ohio.  Finally, please try and help your members attending the convention
with their registration, banquet costs, and food allowances if at all
possible, as this will be very helpful to the affiliate.

Convention Matters

Our Ohio Caucus will take place on July 4, from 5:00-6:00 in the Wekiwa 4
Room located on Level 2, so spread the word!  Preregistration ends on May
31, so if you want to save some money, please take advantage of it.

I'm doing all in my power to get as many Ohioans to Orlando as possible, and
although our numbers may not be as great as they have been in the past,
let's not let that influence our commitment and enthusiasm as an affiliate
and as a movement.  I'm pleased to inform you that Shawn Swonger of our
Springfield chapter and Mike Anderson of our Miami Valley chapter, received
Jernigan Fund Convention Scholarships this year.  They took advantage of
this opportunity for first-timers, and I would like to see other chapter
members do so in the future, so let's do what we can to make this
information available to them.  Once again, we will be selling M&M's, and
Carol Akers and Richard Payne will be in charge of this endeavor, so be
prepared to participate when you get to Orlando.

This is all I have for now, I think, but others should feel free to add
additional appropriate information to this update that I may have missed.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, and don't forget to commemorate and
think about those that have paid the ultimate price in terms of their
military service to our great nation.

Enjoy your families and loved ones like never before.

Dr. J. Webster Smith

President, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

PO Box 458 Athens, OH 45701

740-592-6326

"Changing what it means to be blind"

For more information go to nfbohio.org