[Ohio-talk] 2012 NFB BELL Program?

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Thu Nov 10 05:36:40 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Forgive me, but, what's the point of this program? I
haven't been keeping up with it if there's been
previous discussion on the BELL program. It's rather
brief and vague below. We could get this here for
Ohio's kids to help learn and use braille. I get that.
I'd like that. But, why this over other programs and
efforts.

I get that it's to help kids learn to read, not
continue their reading. But it's so vague below that it
only has one sentence of actual program description. It
says, "The Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
(BELL) Program is an intense two-week program that
introduces children to Braille through engaging
activities."

Do we decide what 'activities' we use? Is there a list
of ideas to choose from? Is there a site where we can
go to learn about others' involvement and efforts in
the past on this program? Such as the section of the
site where all efforts NFB chapters put forth in Meet
the Blind month are aggregated in a long list on one
page? Because the message below was uninspiring and
uninformative. So I'm asking for your help in
understanding it a bit better.

I ask you, can we get this in Ohio? More to the point,
why should we, I guess? Right now it seems a rather
uninspired effort. Can we make it something
inspirational? Do we have the time, the people, and the
desire? Because I'm sure we have the kids who could
benefit.

Seems like a decent way to start off more consistent
classes of actual braille learning for kids & adults.
With this 2-week intensive program.

Thanks,
Everett