[Ohio-talk] Braille Literacy Committee progress

debra baker dbaker152 at woh.rr.com
Thu Sep 15 14:45:31 UTC 2011

Dear friends,

Those who will teach Braille for Ohio in Columbus, Toledo, Cincinnati,
Dayton and Springfield have requested materials and supplies for teaching.
These have been ordered and received.  I will bring materials and supplies
to Saturday's board of directors meeting.  I will also bring samples of the
curriculum that I prefer to use-Braille is Fundamental from the Texas School
for the Blind.  I will distribute these documents to those who will teach
Braille so that they have some familiarity with the format and content of
this curriculum.  As we meet with our students and move through instruction,
members of the Braille Literacy Committee agreed to help us write practice
exercises to supplement and complement shortfalls, gaps and differences
among the curricula that the teachers have chosen.  Teachers who have so far
been identified are Bernie Dressell, Deborah Kendrick, Colleen Roth and
Debbie Baker.  We are grateful for the receipt of our Ohio grant from the
Imagination Fund that makes it possible for us to purchase curricula and
supplies.

Sincerely,

Debbie Baker, committee chair