[Ohio-talk] FW: [Viewpoints] Blind teen keeps on running, thanks to guide dog

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 12:04:38 UTC 2012

JW and all,
This article made the rounds on the GUide Dogs alumni board a few months
ago, and we all had some serious concerns about it.  First is that the
reputable schools typically discourage using a guide dog for running.  My
own second problem with it is wondering what this kid is teaching people
about blindness -- or any disability -- if she can't compete just like
everybody else?  I mean, if everyone else is running to see who is the
fastest and she's just "pretending" to be part of the fun, what's the point?
Just my two cents.  The again, maybe we could help show her the correct path
(pun intended).
Deborah