[Ohio-talk] Fwd: Recent changes in U.S. airport screening process

Nimer M. Jaber, IC³ nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 19:30:34 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "The Seeing Eye, Inc." <info at seeingeye.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:18:40 -0400
Subject: Recent changes in U.S. airport screening process
To: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1 at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Graduates,

The summer months are times of increased travel for many of us and a
lot of that travel is by air. I’m sending this message to update you
on a few of the recent changes in the screening process for
individuals accompanied by service animals going through a security
checkpoint at a U.S. airport. I’ve also included reminders of how to
contact some valuable resources should you encounter problems while
traveling.

First, recent changes now require that after you successfully go
through the metal detector, you cannot make contact with your dog
(other than holding the leash) until the dog has been inspected and
cleared by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
personnel. Even if you walk through the metal detector and do not set
off the alarm, you can be required to undergo additional screening if
you touch your dog before it has been cleared.

Second, the TSA now requires passengers with service animals to
maintain contact with their dog’s leash at all times. This means that
those individuals who in the past handed their dog’s leash to a
traveling companion or asked their dogs to sit and rest and dropped
the leash before walking through the metal detector can no longer use
these techniques.

Finally, passengers traveling with any kind of animal may now be
required to undergo explosives trace testing. This process is quick
and easy and generally takes place after you have cleared security.
You may be asked to hold your hands out, palm side up. The security
officer will then wipe a swab about the size of your palm across each
of your hands and then ask you to wait while a machine analyzes the
swab for traces of explosives. This process leaves no residue on your
hands.

Remember, TSA personnel cannot request that you be separated from your
dog nor are you required to remove your dog’s harness, leash or
collar. If you experience any problems at the security checkpoint, you
should request that a supervisor be contacted for assistance. If you
wish to file a complaint against the TSA, send a message to:
TSA.ODPO at dhs.gov and be sure to include your name, address, phone
number and email address as well as the date/time you went through the
security checkpoint, the name of the airport, and the name of the
airline, flight number & departure gate if known. Give a brief
description of what happened and include as much as you can remember
about your experience and the TSA personnel involved.

The TSA recently launched TSA Cares, a new helpline number
specifically designed to assist travelers with disabilities. You may
call TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787-2227 prior to traveling if you
have questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect
at the security checkpoint. The hours of operation for the TSA Cares
helpline are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. Eastern time; weekends
and federal holidays, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern time. You can also visit
the TSA Cares Web site at

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/disabilityandmedicalneeds/tsa_cares.shtm
or email TSA-ContactCenter at dhs.gov to request information about
screening procedures.

If you believe you are experiencing discriminatory treatment by air
carrier personnel or contractors (e.g., pilots, gate agents, or flight
attendants) you may request immediate on-site assistance from a
Complaint Resolution Official, commonly referred to as a CRO. You may
also file a complaint with the Department of Transportation (DOT) at:

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/CP_DisabilityandDiscrimination.htm

For those wishing to learn more about the rights of individuals
traveling by air with a guide dog, you may call The DOT’s Disability
Hotline at 1-800-778-4838. The Hotline is available from 9:00 a.m.
until 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Address: 10 Washington Valley Road, Morristown, NJ, 07960

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

by anyone other than the intended recipient may result in civil or
criminal action. I have checked this email and all corresponding
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/
Vinux testing and documentation coordinator
To get more information about a free and accessible operating system,
please click here:
http://www.vinuxproject.org

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

Check out my blog related to technology by clicking here:
http://nimertech.blogspot.com

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (720)
(251-4530) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!