[Ohio-talk] A little article about Kyle at Wright State, thought I'd share.

Cindy Conley cconley at fuse.net
Thu Mar 1 01:07:26 UTC 2012

Apparently was written for a fundraising flyer for the new Creative Arts
Center renovation.
Thought I'd share it with you.

The Special Relationship

A melodious sound resonates through Schuster Hall from the violins of Kyle
Conley and In-Hong Cha.

An internationally renowned violinist from Korea, Cha joined the music
faculty at Wright State University in 2000. His student, Conley, is a music
education major.

Cha and Conley have forged a bond—a special relationship that developed out
of their love for the violin, their respect for each other, and the
challenge of overcoming a disability to achieve their dreams.

Known as the “maestro in a wheelchair,” Cha has performed around the world
and conducted orchestras from South Carolina to St. Petersburg, Russia.

Like his legendary teacher, Conley has also been a trailblazer. The first
visually impaired student to enroll in Wright State’s Department of Music,
he introduced the university to computer software that translates sheet
music into Braille. This same technology is now available to other Wright
State students.

“I just love the fact that it’s a great school for students with
disabilities,” said Conley.

Conley’s Wright State experience has been made even more user-friendly
thanks to Alpine, his service dog. The golden Labrador retriever helps
Conley navigate the campus and tunnels.

“He’s been a great companion,” said Conley. “Everybody loves him.”

Conley, who started playing the violin at the age of nine, has honed his
craft under Cha’s tutelage.

“He’s been a great mentor,” said Conley. “There have been a lot of things we’ve
accomplished together—we’ve done two recitals—and we’ve been able to work
through a lot of technical aspects.”

“Kyle is one of the great students,” said Cha. “Not only does he have great
playing skill and knowledge of music, he is a role model to other students.”

Conley had the chance to meet one of his own role models when Takayoshi
Wanami, a visually impaired violinist from Japan, performed as part of the
Department of Music’s Artist Series.

“It was a really great opportunity for Kyle to see a successful musician
with the same situation,” said Cha. “It showed him the potential and the
possibilities.”