[Ohio-talk] Braille Changes to the Present Code

mzavoli at roadrunner.com mzavoli at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 13 19:48:08 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Even one Braille contraction change is significant.  How would it be if nine children disappeared from your family?

I know about the Grade III Braile books, and though they are good for personal use--note taking and saving paper space--they are not part of the standard Braille repertoire.

I heard about that "expert" who says that reading in Grade 1 or Grade 2 makes no difference in speed, but I know, from personal experience, that it does.

It's only nine contractions today, but what about tomorrow?  I might sound like an alarmist, but I think that there are those that want to kill off Braille altogether.  Some want to do it slowly and others want to get rid of it.  Why?  It's one more item that the education system doesn't have to train its teachers.  It's another excuse for being careless and lazy when teaching blind children.

Note what Kevin Miller, the director of BSVI said.  To paraphrase, he said that due to the speed at which technology is changing, that it would be more advantageous for students to learn with their iPhones or iPads.  He said that Braille would be encouraged but not enforced.  He doesn't understand that Braille can be incorporated intoo technology.  He sees Braile as being an outmoded form of writing.  I don't think he fully understands the value of Braille.

I suspect that there are quite a few so-called professionals who thinks as he does.

At any case, yes, rather than reducing contracted Braille, there aught to be more abbreviations.  I have a few of my own to share.

How about dots 4-5-6 for "response" 4-5- for "responsible, and 4-6 for "responsibility?  How about dots 4-5-6 I for "important, 4-5- for "Importance," and 4-5-6- O for "opportunity," ETC.?

Yes, there are over 200 contractions left, and you're wondering why I'm making such a fuss.  It's not nine obscure contractions.  It's nine major signs that we use all the time.  Is that supposed to make Braille better?  Is going back to a 1950s Braille code supposed to be better?

With regard to having grade choices with Braille, how would you know which one to use if you're not being taught the differences between each?  To make such a comparison, blind children would need to learn all these Braile codes, and many aren't even learning Grade 1.

Go Figure!

Milena