[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Nov 16 21:06:29 UTC 2012

Buckeye Update
November 16, 2012

	Last Saturday Carol Akers, Shelbi, and I went to the Miami Valley
chapter meeting. It was a good meeting. They just hadn't had enough of
elections by then, so they held one of their own. The following individuals
were elected. President, Richard Payne; Vice President, Tim Janning;
Secretary, Kathy Withman; Treasurer, Gus White; Board Member at-large,
Gloria Robinson. The chapter also spent some time planning for the December
8 Jazz Explosion. JW will be performing in his Dr. Feel Good persona that
evening. For more information contact Richard Payne. He can be reached at
"rchpay7 at wsbcglobal.net" or by phone at (937) 298-6677.
	I have heard from some who want to participate in the upcoming
Washington Seminar. The Ohio delegation might be slightly larger than I
first envisioned. Debbie Baker and Susan Day have found funding for their
participation. For the past several years Barbara Pierce has paid most of
her expenses, and she is planning to do so again. Susanne Turner and William
Turner are also paying most of their own expenses. Keep in mind that  this
is not an absolute must for going to the Seminar, but it sure helps us take
more people. So thank you to all who have done their part to help defray
expenses for this important event.
	I have heard from some of you concerning the committees you want to
serve on, but I urge more of you to let me know by Friday, November 23.
There is no guarantee I will be able to appoint you to every committee you
want to serve on, but it will sure make life easier if I hear from you
before the board meeting.
	The Amazon Corporation is once again at work making life difficult
for the blind and print disabled. They are now pushing inaccessible books
and other academic content to students in grade K-12. Pay careful attention
to the change in strategy. It is not just that they are selling inaccessible
Kindles  to schools; they are now selling inaccessible content that can be
sent to a variety of devices. We are planning a demonstration at Amazon
headquarters in Seattle. This will take place on December 12. Because we are
short of funds, it is unlikely that we can send anyone from Ohio to be a
part of this event, but you can still help.
	Here is what the national office has to say: We are asking each of
you and/or your blind children to write a letter to Amazon's founder and
chief executive officer, Mr. Jeff Bezos, explaining the harmful impact that
the use of this inaccessible technology in the classroom will have on blind
students.  You may write your letter in print or Braille; if convenient,
submit it in both formats.  Also, if you can, submit a video of you or your
child reading the letter that we can post on our Web site, Facebook page,
and/or YouTube channel.  You may send videos to jfreeh at nfb.org.  Children
who appear in or submit videos must also have their parents sign a media
release giving the National Federation of the Blind permission to use the
video.  A copy of our standard media release is attached.  It can be mailed
back to us at the address below or faxed to 410-685-5653, attention Jessica
Freeh.

We plan to deliver the hard copy letters directly to Jeff Bezos at an
informational protest, so please send the letters to us at National
Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore,
MD 21230, Attention Chris Danielsen, Director of Public Relations.  To be
included in our delivery to Mr. Bezos, we must receive your letter no later
than December 1, 2012.
	I participated in a conference call with Kevan Worley and some of
our Ohio Association of Blind Merchants members this week. We want to try to
reconstruct the relationship between blind Business Enterprise Program
operators and agency staff. We are prepared to offer quality training to
staff and operators if we can get the agency to agree to participate. I will
keep you updated on this issue.
	NFB Scrip Ohio is our only constant source of monthly income at this
point. You can buy gift cards online and shop and dine while donating money
to the NFB of Ohio without spending any extra money. You can still join this
program in time to do your Christmas and other holiday shopping. Our next
order will be released at 7:00 PM on Monday, December 3. If you have
questions, please call Shelbi Hindel (614) 558-8059, or Carol Akers (614)
570-2083.
	Finally, I have included a copy of our convention board meeting
minutes. I want to thank Shelbi and Barbara for their work to ensure that we
publish well-written, accurate minutes. Please read them, and board members
be prepared to vote on them at our next meeting.
	Because of the holiday, I will not write an update next week unless
events necessitate doing so. Have a wonderful thanksgiving. I know that I
will eat too much, watch too much football, spend time with family, and
enjoy doing all three.

Board of Directors Meeting
November 2, 2012

President J.W. Smith called the meeting to order promptly at 11-00 AM. All
board members were present. Three insignia fines were collected. We did not
conduct audience attendance.

1. Lori Anderson of the hotel staff welcomed our convention.

2. Kevan Worley, our national representative from Colorado, was introduced.

3. Barbara Pierce announced the scholarship winners. Both had class
commitments and so were not present at the board meeting. Kaitie Shelton is
a music theropy major at the University of Dayton. Kyle Perkins is a
computer science major at The Ohio State University.

4. Eric Duffy moved that the agenda for this meeting be accepted. The motion
was seconded by Richard Payne. It carried.

5. Debbie Baker moved the adoption of the September 22, 2012, board of
directors meeting minutes. Susan Day seconded the motion. It passed.

6. Affiliate treasurer Sherry Ruth gave a very brief financial report. The
report of the 2011 fiscal year will be presented in general session on
Sunday morning. Eric moved the report be accepted as given. Deborah Kendrick
seconded the motion. It passed.

7. Many years ago Barbara Pierce opened a credit card account for the
affiliate. Due to the financial state of the affiliate, she now recommends
that this account be closed. This must be done with the board having had
discussion and having made the decision to take action.  There was a good
discussion, after which Eric moved that the credit card account be closed
following the conclusion of this convention. Barb Fohl seconded the motion.
The motion passed with four people voting against it.
J.W. assured people that even with difficult days ahead of us we can rely
completely on Sherry as our treasurer.

8. A lot of fundraisers are going on at the convention:
At-Large Chapter--split the pot drawing and an AM FM weather band radio.
Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5.The drawing will be held on Sunday morning.
Cuyahoga will be holding a drawing for $100.
Miami Valley--candy sale.
PAC--If you sign up or increase your current contribution, you will be
entered in a drawing for $25.
Diabetes Action Network-will conduct a drawing for a talking blood pressure
monitor for the wrist. Tickets are 6 for $5. The drawing will be Sunday
morning.
Senior Division--will be holding a drawing for a $75 Visa gift card at the
banquet, Saturday evening. Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5.
Lake County--selling iron-on patches with Whozit on them. These cost $4.
 Springfield  Chapter--has NFB Whozit  Christmas ornaments for $5 each.
NAPUB--will hold a play as a fundraiser. Tickets are $5.00.
OAGDU--drawing for a picnic set. Tickets are 6 for $5.00.
Cincinnati has a few of the Louis Braille key rings to sell. The cost is $5.
 The Affiliate has Whozit pins with rhinestones for $12.
SUN Shares are $10 each.

9. Barbara suggested that a halt be put on our scholarship program until
such time as the funding has improved. This program currently requires
$2,500 in funding for the scholarships plus the expense of their attending
the convention. This decision must be made quickly because this is the time
to circulate the applications. The deadline for applying is May 1. If
funding should be found to support the scholarship program, the decision can
easily and quickly be reversed.  Remember that there are national
scholarships for which people can apply, so encourage them to do so, said
Kevan. Eric moved that this suggested action be taken. Barb seconded the
motion. It carried.

10. Affiliate elections will be held on Sunday morning. The officers and two
board-member positions are open this year. In order to vote, members' names
must appear on a corrected membership list. These lists were due to Barbara
on Friday, October 26, and she does have them with her. If a standing vote
is needed to determine the outcome of an election, J.W. has appointed two
people to count. They are Tom Ruth and Anne Peters.
Barbara reported that the Student Division did not turn in a list. Sherry R.
reported that DAN, Ohio River Valley, and  Muskingum County did not pay
their dues.
The nominating committee appointees were announced. They are -
Colleen Roth, At Large
Stephanie Claytor, Capital Chapter
Sheri Albers, Cincinnati
Chanell Hancock, Cleveland
Annette Anderson, Cuyahoga County
Barb Fohl, Lake County
Sherry Ruth, Lorain County
Wanda Sloan, Miami Valley
Susan Day, Springfield
Mary Pool, Stark County
Bruce Peters, Greater Summit County (chair).

11. Sheri Albers is the chair of convention arrangements. Her phone number
is on the board of directors list found at the back of the agenda.

12. The meeting adjourned promptly at 12:00 Noon.

Respectfully,
Shelbi Hindel