[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Apr 26 22:07:06 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, April 26, 2013

I begin with the news that we have another lawyer among us. Robert Campbell
passed the Barr Exam. Congratulations Robert. Your Federation family is
proud of you.
	The Lorain County Chapter has been selling iPad drawing tickets. The
Springfield Chapter has just asked for more. This is all good news. Please
sell the tickets you have before the convention, and be ready to sell more
in Orlando.
	The Board of Directors met last week by conference call. It was a
good meeting. The membership committee brought a recommendation that has
created a lot of discussion. The committee recommended that the Cleveland
and Cuyahoga chapters become one. The Board voted to explore this
recommendation. The key word in the motion adopted by the Board is explore.
That is exactly what we are going to do over the next several months. We are
going to explore this recommendation. We are going to do this in a variety
of ways which you will hear about in the weeks to come.
	Suzanne Turner has told me that the Executive Director and several
members of the Cleveland Sight Center staff will attend the National
Convention in Orlando. This is great news, and I want to publicly thank
Suzanne for helping make this happen.
	We want to know who is coming to the convention. Please let Shelbi
Hindle know who is coming from your chapter. It would be helpful to have
their names, Email addresses and cell phone numbers. Don't assume we will
know this person or that person from your chapter is coming. We won't know
unless you tell us.
	Barbara is in Baltimore for the Scholarship Committee Meeting. We
had several applicants from Ohio this year, and I hope we will have some
Ohio winners.
	We continue to make progress  with our BELL Program. I want to thank
the Parents Division for the work they did with the gift card drawing and
everyone who helped make that a successful fund-raiser for the BELL Program.
We had six prize winners. You can read more about that in the minutes next
week.
	Scrip orders are due by 7:00 on Sunday May 5. William H. is our
latest member to sign up. May can be a very good month for us with this
program if everyone gets orders in.
	Please continue to urge your member of congress to Cosponsor H.R.
164 and 831 respectively. As far as I know Representative Beatty is the only
Cosponsor of 831 from Ohio. This is the Fair Wages legislation. If you have
not signed the online petition in support of this legislation, please do so
immediately.
	 The at -large chapter will meet by conference call next Sunday
evening at 7:30 PM. The call in number is (605) 475-4875. Use access code
201909 followed by the pound sign. If for some reason you cannot make a long
distance call please let Colleen know and she will see that you get on the
call.
	There will be much more to report next week. Please let me hear from
you about information that I should include in these updates.