[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Aug 16 17:42:54 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, August 16, 2013
	We all have those I remember where I was days. Today is one of those
days for me. I remember where I was thirty-six years ago today when I heard
that Elvis Pressley died. At that point I was at summer camp.
	The At-large Chapter will meet by phone Sunday evening at 7:30 PM.
The call in number is (605) 475-4875. Use access code 201909. Let those who
are not in a local chapter know about this call, and encourage them to be a
part of it. I strongly encourage members of the Board to participate.
	Tonight I will be on a call with the Student Division. You can be
sure we will be talking about the state convention.
	Barbara is hard at work on the convention issue of the newsletter.
Please get her information about your chapter activities this weekend.
Surely some of you are planning to sell items and tickets for various
drawings  at the convention. Take the opportunity to announce it in the
newsletter.  Let's make this another good issue.
	An ever increasing amount of my time is now being spent on planning
for the state convention. It is not too early to start thinking about door
prizes. Prizes should have a value of at least $10.00. Please consider
purchasing gift cards from the NFB Scrip Ohio program. This is a good idea
for a number of reasons. They are easy for you to get to the convention.
They are easier for others to carry, and your purchase benefits the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio.
	Email me with your ideas and suggestions for how to make this the
best convention we have ever had.  Of course you can also call, but as I
said to Richard Payne, if you email, you and I both have your idea in
writing. I may ask you to refine your idea. I may ask how to get it done, or
I might ask you to do it. None of these things necessarily mean I don't like
it. Even if you offer a suggestion I don't use this time, it doesn't mean it
can't be done in the future. I have offered many suggestions over the years
that were not used for one reason or another. But Barbara and JW., will both
tell you that I still kept trying . I continue to make this plea and now I
have gotten specific suggestions from Suzanne Turner and Richard Payne.
	Here are some things you should be aware of concerning the
convention . Please let Shelbi Hindel know who will represent your chapter
on the nominating committee as soon as possible. Her email address is:

Shelbiah1 at gmail.com

You may also reach her by phone at : (614) 558-8059. It will make it easier
for her if she has the names of those serving on the committee well in
advance of the Board Meeting at the Convention.
	Our block of rooms at the hotel will be released after October 11.
Please make your room reservations by that date at the latest.
	I sent an email to chapter presidents asking them to give us
information about people they know who are on the parents division mailing
list. Do those on the list have blind children, or are their blind children
now adults? Do we have teachers of blind students on the list?  Please look
at the list and help Carol Akers and Cindy Conley have an updated mailing
list for our parents division. Send information to Carol at
purplecakers at yahoo.com

	Here is another reminder about the awards process for 2013. All
materials are due by September 21. Please read the memorandum from Paul
Dressell carefully and direct any questions to him. Even if your chapter or
division does not wish to compete for the Gavel Award, you must submit a
completed form in order for your members to be eligible to vote during the
convention. This is how we learn more about what your chapter or division is
doing.

September 21 is the date for the next meeting of the Board of Directors. We
will meet at the North Community Lutheran Church, 114 Morse Rd., in
Columbus. The meeting will begin promptly at 10:00 AM. Please be early.
Future updates will contain information about our plans for lunch.

	You are invited to the NFB-O Parents Division
Family Fall Retreat
Camp Campbell Gard -YMCA Camp
October 19-20, 2013

Please send registration with family information to:
Cindy Conley
7309 Dixon Dr.
Hamilton, Ohio 45011
Questions? Call 513-608-1399

Name:___________________________________________________________
Child(ren)
names/ages__________________________________________________________________
Please identify blind/vi family member
Address:____________________________________________________________________
Phone_____________________________________________________________
Amount enclosed____________________
Please include $10 per person ($50/family over 5). Make checks payable to
Parents of Blind Children of Ohio. Registration must be received by Sept. 1,
2013.
Complete information will be sent after registration deadline.

Camp Campbell Gard is a YMCA camp located just outside Hamilton, Ohio. It
has heated cabins that families share for the weekend. www.gmvymca.org/camp
Many activities for young and old alike. Still making plans, but
possibilities include:
.	Zipline
.	Rock climbing
.	Nature center
.	Hay ride
.	Campfire with smores
.	Hiking
.	Games
.	Bounce house

This is a great time for kids and parents alike to be together and relax,
knowing that they are with their peers.
All food and lodging is included in the weekend. Just bring your sleeping
bags or linens to fit on campsize beds.
Please respond as soon as possible so that we may have an accurate count for
the campground.
	This is really a fun time. I don't expect you all to come, but I
hope you will spread the word to families of blind children. We do need
blind adult role models to be there as well, but space  is very limited.
Please talk to me directly if you are interested in coming but do not have a
blind child.
	Spread the word about all of the things going on in the Federation,
and do what you can to encourage others to be a part of our Federation
family. I will do the same.