[Ohio-talk] fyi

Annette Lutz annettelutz at att.net
Wed Dec 18 13:15:08 UTC 2013

Good Morning everyone,

I have been a part of this list for some time, and haven't participated in
much of the conversation because I am so new to the organization, and until
fairly recently, haven't been too involved in the NFBO outside of my work
with the Merchants Division.  I have stayed out of the "politics" that
naturally come with all groups, because of my newness.  I have sat back and
listened and learned because it is my sincere hope that someday, after
learning as much as I can, that I can be a better contributor to this
wonderful organization.  I have learned a lot, and after learning so much
about the NFB philosophy and the great work that is done, I feel stronger
about my affiliation with this group, and hope that in my small way, that I
can be of some help to the cause in the future.

However, after reading the current thread of email, I have been extremely
concerned about some things.  Most notably, I see from the point of view of
someone that really doesn't know most of the players personally and who
doesn't know much of the history, that this type of personal attacks is very
discouraging to read.  I have noted that outside of fundraising, one of the
top goals of the affiliate is the increase of membership.  From the point of
view of an "outsider" this type of continued thread could have the opposite
effect.  If I hadn't been sitting back and listening for some time now, and
had just gotten on this list recently, maybe after just attending my first
convention, this type of attacking could have put me off of the entire
group.  I hope that this isn't the case for any new people who might be
reading this list, because the group is so much more than is being portrayed
here.

Since I have began my involvement with the affiliate outside of the
Merchants Division, I have felt completely included in anything that I had
interest in.  I enjoy reading the weekly updates from Eric, and the
wonderful newsletter that Barbara puts together.  I have gotten the
opportunity to meet many people through the conventions that I have attended
and my involvement with last summer's BELL program, and I have recently
become more involved in the Columbus Chapter, who have been very inclusive
and welcomed me openly.  I am certain that any other Chapter would have done
the same if I lived in those areas as well.  In fact, I have felt that some
have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome to this group, and have
told me that my ideas and opinions are welcome.  I believe that everyone
else is given that same welcoming approach.  So what I am asking is that the
personal attacks please stop on this list.  It is natural for their to be
disagreements, and the fact that people feel so strongly about their opinion
only emphasizes the passion that is felt about doing the work of the NFB,
but when those passions reach the point of attack, it hurts the group, and
could push away future leaders who might not have had the opportunity yet to
learn what the NFB is all about.

Just my thoughts.

Everyone have a very Merry Christmas, and let's have a great 2014 making
this affiliate an even stronger and better one than it already is.

Annette Lutz