[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Feb 22 01:51:47 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, February 21, 2013

	Tuesday evening we had our first call for chapter and division
presidents. We had a lively and constructive call, and I want to thank
everyone who participated. Participation in calls like these demonstrates to
your chapter or division that you are a leader, and that you are eager to
learn as well as share your knowledge and experience with others. For now we
are going to hold these calls on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM.
I want to have new and useful agenda items each month. I would like to hear
from presidents so that I can be sure to include the topics you want to
discuss.
	On Tuesday we discussed the fact that we need to know which
congressional districts our members live in. For example as a result of
redistricting I now live in the twelfth district and Pat Tiberi is my
representative. Last year in the last session of congress I lived in the
15th district and Steve Stivers was my Rep. I did not move. When we need to
contact a member of congress, it is helpful to be able to say JW.,  smith or
Richard Payne lives in your district. We are going to ask this question on
membership lists this fall.
	We talked about the need to continue to promote NFB-NEWSLINER within
our chapters, the importance of getting people to the national convention
even though there is no financial assistance from the affiliate, the scrip
fund raising program, scholarships, the newsletter, and much more. If we
can't make these calls interesting and worthwhile, we won't have them. We
are planning one for next month, so please be sure to be there if you are a
chapter or division president.
	Ohio has seven cosponsors on H.R. 164. This is the Space Available
for disabled military personnel. A companion bill has been introduced in the
senate. The bill number is S. 346. The Fair Wages bill should be introduced
in the house next week.
	Please get Barbara Pierce material for the newsletter. Let her know
what your chapter or division is doing. Let her know what you've done
recently. We all have something we can submit for the newsletter. We all
have a story to tell. This is our publication. Let's all work together to
make it the best publication it can be.
	Please spread the word about our scholarship program. It is still
not too late to apply for national scholarships. I am attaching the
application form for the Ohio scholarship program. Please help us distribute
it.
	If you talk about money for blind students, a way for blind people
to read newspapers and magazines, and legislation effecting the blind, you
can have a lively and interesting chapter meeting.
	The national organization will conduct an internet auction in late
November or early December. Each affiliate is responsible for getting
donations that are unique to the state if at all possible. In any case we
will need high quality items that are attractive and worth purchasing at a
good price. We want this to be a real money maker for the national
organization.  We have some time, but we should all start thinking of things
we can donate or get donated for the Ohio package. I have asked Shelbi to
coordinate this for us. 	Scrip orders are due by 7:00 PM. On Sunday
March 3. If you need help ordering please contact Carol Akers or me.
	Debbie and I leave for BELL training in the morning. The real work
for BELL begins now. We will have a lot to report next week.