[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Jan 25 21:17:20 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, January 25, 2013

	I begin this update with sad news and a heavy heart. I'm sure that
many of you have already heard that Bob Eschbach died this past Tuesday. The
week before Bob learned that he had cancer, but the doctors thought he would
have several months to live. Bob served on the Board of Directors of the
National Federation of the blind and as President of the National Federation
of the Blind of Ohio. He was a long-time leader of this affiliate. Bob was
President of the affiliate when I first joined in 1984. I spent many hours
in the Eschbach home and enjoyed their gracious hospitality. Bob was a
mentor, a colleague and a friend. I was look forward to The time when he and
Pat were once again living in Ohio. I understand that Pat still plans to
come back to Ohio, and I look forward to spending time with her. I am sure
we will spend a great deal of time talking about Bob, his work in the
Federation, and his love for our movement.
Please keep Bob, Pat, and the Eschbach family in your thoughts and prayers.
If you would like to share your memories of Bob please get your stories to
Barbara by February 15 for the next newsletter.
	The Pierces are in Pennsylvania for the memorial service for
Barbara's mother. So once again, please keep Barbara and her family in your
thoughts and prayers.
	We had a very productive meeting of the Board of Directors last
weekend. We made many difficult decisions, but we did so in good Federation
spirit and harmony. I am confident that the minutes will be out with the
next week's update, but I will bring a few things to your attention here.
	The affiliate will not provide assistance to attend the National
Convention in Orlando next summer. This was a difficult decision, but we
hope local chapters will do what they can to help. We all know the value of
participating in a convention.
	Starting with the next issue our newsletter will no longer be
published in print. It will be available on the Web, by Email, on
NFB-NEWSLINER, and Deborah Kendrick will record an MP3 version to be
downloaded.
	The constitution committee will draft an amendment to reduce the
size of the Board of Director's by two members. If the amendment is adopted
by the convention this fall, in 2014 we will not elect a Second Vice
President, and we will also eliminate one at-large board position. The
committee will also draft language to allow the board to be polled by Email.
There will also be recommend change to modernize the constitution. I have
asked Barbara Pierce to assist the committee. I remind you that Shelbi
Hindel chairs this committee.  Annette Anderson and Colleen Roth, are the
other members. We will discuss the recommendations of the committee at the
spring board meeting.
	The board will again meet by conference call in April. The meeting
will start promptly at 10:00 AM.
	Some of you have already asked for the date for our next convention.
The convention will begin on Friday, November 1 and end at noon on Sunday
November 3.
	It is not too late to sign up for Scrip in time to place an order in
February. Please do it by early next week though. To get started go to
www.shopwithscrip.com/ If you need assistance call Carol Akers or me.
	Several of us are planning to attend the Washington Seminar
beginning on February 4. Last week I posted the fact sheets to the Ohio-Talk
listserv. I remind those who are going that we will have a conference call
Tuesday evening at 7:00 PM. We will discuss the issues and any last minute
concerns that might arise. The number to call is (605) 475-4875. Use access
code 201909 followed by the pound sign.
	Stay safe and warm, and have a great weekend. Do what you can to
build the Federation, and I will write more next week.